• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem overclocking 6800GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
a spare PCI, wouldnt an AGP do? i'd have to wait until i was home from university though, what clocks do you guys have then, and what are the idle and load temps? mine are 59 core, 39 ambient (IDLE) 67-72 core, 45-46 ambient (LOAD) my clocks are 430/1100

a spare PCI, wouldnt an AGP do? i'd have to wait until i was home from university though, what clocks do you guys have then, and what are the idle and load temps? mine are 59 core, 39 ambient (IDLE) 67-72 core, 45-46 ambient (LOAD) my clocks are 430/1100. This would help me guage the value of flashing my card

PCI video card because if your flash goes south, you'll need a card of a different interface to resolve the problem.

1>Acquire the programs NiBiTor and NVFlash, preferably the latest versions.
2>Put NVFlash on a bootable floppy and boot to it.
3>Run "nvflash.exe -b a;\68backup.bin", without the quotes obviously. This creates a backup of your existing BIOS, important if something goes sour or you want to revert to stock.
4>Back in Windows, copy the backup.bin file somewhere, change the name, and open it in NiBiTor.
5>Change the file however you want, the program is pretty self-expalainatory. I upped my voltage and core speeds to 1.4V and 400MHz respectfully. I also changed the fan voltage so it runs at 100% all the time.
6>Save the bios, and copy it back to the floppy, making sure not to overwrite the backup file.
7>Boot to the floppy. Run "nvflash.exe -f a:\modifiedBIOS.bin". Let it finish and reboot, see what happens. If the BIOS is corrupt, you'll know almost immediately, in which case you switch to the PCI card and undo what you've done with the backup BIOS.

I run my 6800GT at 400/1100, 1.4v. 45/65, idle/load core. I never felt like pushing it further, as all I was really interested was an Ultra.

Good luck, let me know how it works.

i decided not to in the end as i dont have a spare PCI video card on hand. Im all AGP at home, PCI ones were thrown away. Without backup's its probably not wise to do it? but wouldnt re-flashing the BIOS in general, to a newer version wokr the the same with no need for this PCI business? ive got 430/1100 clocks, i probably couldnt get much higher and be perfectly stable under extensive gaming

Gregory_WE I cant offer you a link because Im going by faded memory, but I was considering going 6800 GT or GS with my new system and so I have spent some time reading reviews on them and have decided to stear clear of the 6800s all together

the reason is that your problem is apparently a common one with these cards, I read reviews that described the exact same problem your haveing, but none of them mentioned benchmarking or overclocking

they described long pauses, then the game going back to normal for a while, then another long pause

I recall one poster offered the explanation that its a well known issue caused by some bad memory ending up on these cards (or something like that, still going from memory)

if this is confirmed I guess youll be RMAing that card

Im going right now to wade through possibly hundreds of reviews on newegg/tigerdirect/google, so that hopefully I can find what I found before, and prove that Im not just makeing this up to scare you or something

----------------------

well I searched newegg and tigerdirect for where I might have seen these reviews but I cant seem to find more than one reference to this problem, from a poster who states that there is a known issue with some bad GDDR3 memory on these cards, but I know I seen more info on the problem than this in reviews, I just cant seem to find them now, maybe Im skimming through them to fast and missing em :shrug:

you could google "6800 pausing" and find all kinds of results, but you could do the same with 6600 or 7800 or any other card, so thats not much use

I might not be able to back it up I guess, but Im still looking, gonna go through new egg reviews again, gotta run out right now though

but heres a link to a review, check the forth review down from the top, its only an AGP 6800, but says he solved a 65c throttling issue ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustR...=N82E16814140067&SortField=0&Pagesize=&Page=3

Last edited:
He cant RMA it, at least not honestly. The card works fine at stock speeds (at least that's what I gathered), and it does exactly what it was designed to do. Mad props if they take back a card for not overclocking.

he could unscrupulously RMA it if he wanted too, the 6800 is a good card, far better than the ATI X850 series, its leading rivals. Ive got a 6800GT,its pretty resiliant, ive took it to the edge a few times and its bounced back. i think it depends upon the brand you buy from, ive got an XFX, the XFX nvidias can be as much as £30 more than say a PNY card of the same generation. XFX and eVGA are the most expensive of these. This can be seen in the prices of the 7800 and was the same for my 6800, i got the most expensive 6800 out of the selection, i think the PCB's are reference and so all the same but the memory for example is likely to differ in quality, of course all being of the same type naturally, GDDR3 for the GT for example, the price can tell you this

chevro1et said:
Did you turn off the AGP fastwrites? Additionally, I think that the 6800gt's may require more voltage at Ultra+ speeds, but I am not sure... maybe someone else can confirm??...

Cheers.

No volt mod on mine... But then again I have the NV5 cooler which works wonders...

LeAd_Poisoning said:
You cant alter the core's voltage on this one, and it also runs at ultra voltage as stock anyway, its exactly the same as the ultra in every way except for differing core/mem clock speeds. The BIOS will not let you change any voltages bar the standard bus voltages which doesnt change performance any

ummm lead the part where you say the 6800gt is the same in every way as the ultra sept for the speeds is wrong the boards are different on where the caps are and on some of the locations of parts on the board just felt like clearing that part up lol sorry if i sound like an arse i dont want to come on as one i just felt it needed to be said

Yes, I did some searching just a day or two ago and what it sounds like is that modding the BIOS might be a solution to my problem. I'm probably going to be buying a NV Silencer 5 so I'll do that afterwards, of course. I also bought 5 new case fans to replace 5 of my old ones... 1 I'll keep cause it's not that old. I don't think the old case fans were really that good anyways, seemed like weren't moving that much air.

chevro1et said:
Did you turn off the AGP fastwrites?
just a question, what do agp fastwrites do and your saying they should be turned off? :eh?:
Edit: i went into agp settings and unchecked fastwrites and pressed apply but they automatically came back on? should i just leave them on or is there another way to turn them off?

Last edited:
You usually turn them off in your BIOS.

For me, if fast writes are on barely anything works... there are artifacts everywhere. I believe I heard something about nF3 + 6800s + Fastwrites = bad.

fastwrites boosts performance, but i suppose can bring some incompatibilities too on certain systems. Stability can be improved at high overclocks by disengaging it but i wouldnt recommend it.

:shrug:
A1Killer said:
ummm lead the part where you say the 6800gt is the same in every way as the ultra sept for the speeds is wrong the boards are different on where the caps are and on some of the locations of parts on the board just felt like clearing that part up lol sorry if i sound like an arse i dont want to come on as one i just felt it needed to be said

ummm. A1Killer, "The GeForce 6800 GT is NVIDIA’s answer to the Radeon X800 Pro; however it’s even more like its flagship product. The 6800 GT is the same product as the 6800 Ultra with the exception of a 100MHz lower memory and 50MHz core clock. This will naturally hinder the performance of the GeForce 6800 GT, but I imagine the decrease will be minimal. The GeForce 6800 GT will certainly be the preferred solution by most, given that the only difference between it and the 6800 Ultra is a slight decrease in clock speeds. However what will make it the preferred solution is its $100 US price saving over the 6800 Ultra. The GeForce 6800 GT core is clocked at 350MHz while the memory operates at 500MHz or (DDR1000). " (http://legionhardware.com/document.php?id=322)

"The GT is the same product as the 6800 Ultra, yet clocked 50 Mhz slower and has slightly less memory bandwidth. That's the biggest difference... oh and hey... 100 USD bucks cheaper "
(http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/135/)

This is just two examples of what is all over google, again likewise, im not being an ***. Maybe you got confused with the PCI-e version of the Ultra which is still the same architecture except its interface is different, perhaps this corresponds with that component position difference or whatever it was youi were arguing

Last edited:
I hate to bust your bubble dude, but the Ultra has a second Molex connection to handle the additionial voltage, which is why some core voltage increases dont take.

ok fair enough, i knew that its Vcore was 1.4v instead of 1.3v, thats probably because of the higher stock core/mem clocks to ensure maximum stability, i also know its stock cooling is better, no doubt related to the above. But the actual architecture, the core, the memory is all the same bar this voltage difference with its associated molex, that doesnt really improve performance any in itself, merely stability at higher OC's, essentially they are the exactly the same in terms of the PCB,core,memory giving them the same performance potential, bar the voltage difference which as said can improve stability at higher OC's and possibly allow you to push a little higher, but fundamentally they are the same. They are undiscernable from each other in terms of performance potential, this voltage/molex thing is merely a minor design change and in itself makes little or no discernable difference. It may allow for an additional and stable 10Mhz on the core over the GT for example, i dont need to point out what little impact this makes in terms of games or benchmarks, fractions of an FPS and aggregate points for 3dMark

why doesnt your fastwrites work? It's a feature on the card, its suppose to work? I have had fastwrites since day 1 and it works fine for me.

My 6800GT runs fine @ 415/1150.

But for some reason the hardware monitor in rivatuner says my core is running at 369mhz? wats up with that?

and my temps are always low. at 53 idle and 65-67 max load.

Back