• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x Opteron 280 CCBWE 0526, worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

futura2001

Okay, I have the option to buy a couple of Opteron 280s at a very reasonable price.
One is a CCBWE 0526 VMPW, the other is a CCBWE 0526 UPMW.
Should I jump on the prospect of having two dualcores that should each OC to fx-60 or fx-57 speeds without any trouble?

That is a killer price man. if you're getting both chips for $800 and not $800 for each, then it's like $400 a pop which is around the price of a opty 170. If you have the cash to burn definatly go for it

Yes, it is $400 each, $800 for both. I don't really have the money to burn, but I could sell off pieces of my current system that will be unused to cover rent and a socket 940 mobo, hehehe.

Heh, if I even get it, I'm thinking of running some benches with the dual 280s just to get you guys drooling, and then setting it up as a server and selling bandwidth for game hosting.
Run four gigabit network adapters in the 2x280 server, pipe it into a quad P-III 550 workstation to function as an inline smoothwall/IDS, run that through a switch and the fastest hosting plan I can find.
Assuming I am able to find hosting cheap enough to be profitable.

Back