• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about Cat A.I. and benching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ColtIce

Disabled
I know having Cat A.I. set to advanced nets a nice gain in the fps of nature in 2k1 but what about the other 3dmarks or aquamark for that matter.in 2k3 the difference between normal and advanced does not seem to be as extreme.
I guess what I'm asking is what setting to the benchmark masters here use?In 2k1 do you use different settings for different tests?such as set to normal or off for LL,LH,CH,Cl? or do you just leave it at one setting and are done with it?
Oh another thing what's the oppinion here on the use of L.O.D. with the ATI cards?Again I know that it gives a BIG boost to nature in 2k1 but what of the other 3dmarks?Are all of the big dogs using it now?I would think so but would like some confirmation.personally when I owend nVidia cards I used it without hesitation but after several ATI cards I don't feel right doing so :shrug:

Try AI off for all tests except Nature ;)

Yes I would use LOD, I recently changed my opinion when it became available to ATI users and leveled the playing field. Why cripple yourself from the start compared to other benchers? I'd really prefer to see it eliminated altogether but as it is now you really have no other choice if you want to stay competative.

Hows it going my friend, haven't see you here for a while.

I had it on advanced for everything...it was always that way for some reason, never had to manually change it.

And I fully agree with Maxi on LOD. Everyone can do it now, its just an extreme form of lowering the quality level. It's only useful in nature in '01 as far as I know. Doesn't help anywhere else.

Hopefully you can squeeze some more performance out of that quirky card than I could.

real life had been keeping me pretty busy there for a while but I managed to get everything squared away so I have a little time to play around now.

I'm pretty happy with the x850 so far.I got it when Microcenter had them for $199 AR. Was just to good of a price to pass up seeing how I was entertaining the idea of grabbing one them when they were $350.I've done a few clean runs of 2k5@580/600 and running it 24/7@560/587 nothing special I know but not bad for 200 bucks.I really kind of need more cpu but that's another story LOL.I hope to grab one of those mobile 4000+ newarks in the next couple of months but enough dreaming.

I did run a quick test of 2k1,2k3,2k5, and AM3 this morning and LOD only made a note worthy difference in 2k1 for me.

Same place and price I got mine for...unfortunately even though I got two of em, both suicide ran only about as far as you run daily. :p

Heh, same place and price I got mine for...don't despair, my POS suicide ran about as fast as you run daily. Couldn't even dream of 580 out of it on air.

It's a messed up card for 01. It won't load Cat 4.12. I had to force its device ID to an X800XT to get it to do so. Unfortunately I also lost 20 FPS in nature with that. It might be a better idea to use the later drivers and take a hit in the system tests, but I'm not 100% sure.

I have noticed that if you submit a 3DMark05 score to futuremark with Catalyst AI set to advanced it fails their driver certification check.

I did exactly the same test with AI set to off and it passed, but the strange thing is is still passes with AI enabled and set to standard.

Can anyone else confirm this for me? I am using an X800 with the latest Catalyst 6.2 drivers.

Cheers,
Nick

Well WTF?

This is with standard AI:

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/projectdetails.jsp?projectType=12&projectId=1862768

Same driver with advanced AI:

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/projectdetails.jsp?projectType=12&projectId=1862709

BTW, it also fails under XP 64bit with AI OFF!

http://service.futuremark.com/orb/projectdetails.jsp?projectType=12&projectId=1862476

Are you allowed to use 6.2's for XP64?

It thinks I'm running 2003 Server and it couldn't detect the VGA clocks, do you think that has anything to do with it?

HELP! :bang head

No drivers are approved with xp64. And as posted i always run with AI advanced and have seen no issue, but will do a run to see if anything new pops up.

No drivers are approved with xp64.

That's a shame, do you know if they will support it in the future?

I seem to gain 100+ points in 64bit, has anyone else noticed this?

And as posted i always run with AI advanced and have seen no issue, but will do a run to see if anything new pops up.

Thanks mate, this is doing my head in.

It could be a random glitch with my system but I used cat remover and driver cleaner etc.

I really I don't want to have to re-install windows if I can avoid it.

BTW, I also have triple buffering and geometry instancing enabled but they can't effect 3DMark... can they?

Thanks for your help,

Nick

Last edited:
Nick [D]vB said:
That's a shame, do you know if they will support it in the future?

I seem to gain 100+ points in 64bit, has anyone else noticed this?
Probably never. Unless they release next 3dmark specificaly for xp64, but by the it would be vista LOL.

Nick [D]vB said:
BTW, I also have triple buffering and geometry instancing enabled but they can't effect 3DMark... can they?

Thanks for your help,

Nick
just ran it and they were approved. http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=1864490 triple buffering and geometry instancing wont make drivers unapproved.

Thanks for doing that, when I compare them the ONLY difference I can see is that 3DMark can't detect my motherboard manufacturer or FSB, could this invalidate a result? I will re-install windows and try again....

Thanks again,
Nick

Set compatibility mode to "Windows XP" for 3dmark in Win2k3 server, and it'll detect your drivers as approved.

Back