• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T2500 Yonah socket 478 at the Egg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yummy. Pop one of these in my old IC7-G and kick some butt,

I'm wondering if the socket is based on the 479 laptop sockets??

no the pin out and is different than your current 478 system. these are really socket 479, but they are not compatible with dothan based mobo (or ASUS adapter) that are socket 479 as the pin out is slightly diffrent. Yes it is really socket 478, but Intel renamed it 479 to avoid confusion. Newegg just list it 478, half of there stuff is 478 the other half is 479. I wish they would make up their mind. :rolleyes: .

Shelnutt2 said:
no the pin out and is different than your current 478 system. these are really socket 479, but they are not compatible with dothan based mobo (or ASUS adapter) that are socket 479 as the pin out is slightly diffrent. Yes it is really socket 478, but Intel renamed it 479 to avoid confusion. Newegg just list it 478, half of there stuff is 478 the other half is 479. I wish they would make up their mind. :rolleyes: .

You know part of me thought it was too good to be true. Dual core and low power for a 478, ya should have saw that myself..... Although I could always get a Dolthan and OC the hell out of it.

Hopefully either Asus or Abit will come out with a new adapter to let us run them in a socket 478 desktop board. They would rock in my i865 or i875 boards and if Abit came out with an adapter I definitely would upgrade my IC7-G and IS7 systems to them.

muddocktor said:
Hopefully either Asus or Abit will come out with a new adapter to let us run them in a socket 478 desktop board. They would rock in my i865 or i875 boards and if Abit came out with an adapter I definitely would upgrade my IC7-G and IS7 systems to them.

would the chipsets support them if the socket did though?

saw these on the egg yesterday and thought one would be fun to play with but was unsure about mobo compatibility and all that yada. figured if anything the asus adapter might work with it but didnt think the chipset would work with dualcore cpu.

I don't see why the chipset wouldn't be able to support it if a BIOS update came out. Can't the 865 chipset use dual core CPUs?

z0n3 said:
I don't see why the chipset wouldn't be able to support it if a BIOS update came out. Can't the 865 chipset use dual core CPUs?

It can use HT, maybe there is a way to trick the BIOS into thinking that the second core is HT yet be the full power of a second processor. Maybe it's just a pipedream.

Mr. $T$ said:
It can use HT, maybe there is a way to trick the BIOS into thinking that the second core is HT yet be the full power of a second processor. Maybe it's just a pipedream.

An 865PE chipset will run dual core presslers.
Linky

the pinout on the yonah looks like a normal 478 processor! The dothan has a different key than normal 478 processors, but the yonah looks the same. maybe they key is on the other side.

the pinout on the yonah looks like a normal 478 processor! The dothan has a different key than normal 478 processors, but the yonah looks the same. maybe they key is on the other side.

They may look the same but there not. Not even close. And besides its socket 480, even though there are 478 pins

They are different guys. There was a thread about this awhile back. I believe some of the in fo came from Anantech, and other info came from some of the guys who work with this stuff. Maybe Intel will be gracious, and supply a couple mobo makers with the pinout config and they can make some adapters.

I'm sure the pinout is already available to the manufacturers, because they are making laptops using these procs and even Mac desktop machines. And since Asus is a laptop ODM, they should have ready access to this info already and they have already made the adapter for P-M. I'm hoping they can make some kind of adapter card for them.

muddocktor said:

It need a minimum of a i915 chipset, i've heard.

muddocktor said:
I'm sure the pinout is already available to the manufacturers, because they are making laptops using these procs and even Mac desktop machines. And since Asus is a laptop ODM, they should have ready access to this info already and they have already made the adapter for P-M. I'm hoping they can make some kind of adapter card for them.
The desktop macs are using a laptop mobo, i saw there was a link in here somewhere with it taken apart.

Back