• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some assistance: Converting fittings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Midnight Dream

OSPF Loving Member
Ok, I have a pump with 2 1/2" OD connectors on it. Now, I have gone to lowe's and been told, on 2 occasions, WITH THE PUMP THERE, that such and such connector would work. No luck. First time I left with like 6 different pieces, got home, and the connectors were too big, wouldnt even fit into the current pump. Second time, the fittings were too small, and fit in, but just sorta slid around.

So here is the essential question:

What exactly (and where) do I need to get some connectors, to convert from a 1/2" OD to 1/2"ID 3/8" OD. I believe it is currently at 1/2" OD 3/8" ID.

You can't have a 1/2"ID x 3/8"OD. The OD has to be bigger than the ID. :)

The key to what you want to do is to find out how the pump is threaded so you can get a fitting that fits the pump. What pump is it and we can go from there? The pump does use threaded fittings correct?

Its the pump that was recently sold by turd in the classifieds. Its a Hydro L30, which looks like this:

dyo-l20.JPG

So you think 2 of those which you linked should work?

Actually, any chance you could link to the items needed from lowes? I have one here in town, I could pick it up today.

There site is a joke to nav and I can't find it on there, so print the pic for the fitting and go to lowes, show the sales person the pic. Make sure you know what size tubing your using (like take samples of both sizes) and that sould get you what you need.

RIG RIDER said:
There site is a joke to nav and I can't find it on there, so print the pic for the fitting and go to lowes, show the sales person the pic. Make sure you know what size tubing your using (like take samples of both sizes) and that sould get you what you need.

I hope. I took the actual pump there and told the gentleman that I needed it to go to 1/2" ID 3/8" OD, and he said that there is no such thing. :rolleyes: almost dropped my pump too. Anyways, shall try again.

If anybody else has some recommendations as well, I would appreciate them. It looks as if this pump (the L30) has a removable front, but I see no way to remove it, nor have I attempted to, for fear of breaking it.

Midnight Dream said:
I hope. I took the actual pump there and told the gentleman that I needed it to go to 1/2" ID 3/8" OD, and he said that there is no such thing. :rolleyes: almost dropped my pump too. Anyways, shall try again.

How can the ID be larger than the OD?

I recently added another pump to my setup. I had to convert on the input and the output. To make things simple, I brought the pump, original input and original ouput, then found fittings that would work simply by trying them. I find it's best to go to a local hardware store (if your town still has one) and try fittings yourself.

Midnight Dream said:

If anybody else has some recommendations as well, I would appreciate them. It looks as if this pump (the L30) has a removable front, but I see no way to remove it, nor have I attempted to, for fear of breaking it.

If you said that to the salesman, he is right, cause there is no such thing as 1/2" ID(Inside diameter) 3/8" OD(Outside diameter) I think you need to say "I need to convert(reduce) 1/2" ID to 3/8" ID male to male barbed fitting".
That's if the 3/8" ID tubing your using is 1/2" OD so it will fit the pump.
Are you getting what I mean?

Midnight Dream said:

you want an adapter that goes from 3/8 to 1/2 not 1/2id, 3/8od

RIG RIDER said:
That's if the 3/8" ID tubing your using is 1/2" OD so it will fit the pump.
Are you getting what I mean?

I'm missing it entirelly, and I apologize to everybody. ClearFLEX 60 Tubing 1/2" ID / 3/4" OD is what I purchased. I will go and look again, and I thank everybody for trying to help me. What is it exactly that I need to look for, going from 1/2" OD to 3/4"OD|1/2"ID, so I can get it on the first time?

Ok, lets see if this will work.

You need for the pump= 3/8" ID X 1/2" OD tubing so it will fit "IN" the push type fittings on the pump.

Your using= 1/2" ID X 3/4" OD that you have in hand for the rest of your loop.

You need to get =
This type of fitting will alow you to go from 1/2" OD X 3/8" ID(on your pump)
to the 3/4" OD X 1/2" ID that you have for the rest of you loop.

So I will *have* to have some tubing of that size? I know there was some PVC pipe, it fit in there pretty damn tight (I made quite a spectacle of myself trying to get it OUT of my pump). Might try to take some of that, and some of the plumbers take, put it in there, and then get the adapter you stated to fit my tubing.

Midnight Dream said:
So I will *have* to have some tubing of that size? I know there was some PVC pipe, it fit in there pretty damn tight (I made quite a spectacle of myself trying to get it OUT of my pump). Might try to take some of that, and some of the plumbers take, put it in there, and then get the adapter you stated to fit my tubing.
??? Answer a few questions for me.

1- what size tubing do you have now?

2- what parts make up your loop (parts in hand)

3- PVC?, what part are you refering to?

RIG RIDER said:
??? Answer a few questions for me.

1- what size tubing do you have now?

2- what parts make up your loop (parts in hand)

3- PVC?, what part are you refering to?

1 - that which I mentioned, the clearflex 60 3/4" OD 1/2" ID.

2 - CPU WB, GPU WB, BIP2 Rad, Hydor L30 Pump

3 - This was just some PVC pipe that was in the plumbing section where I was looking at the parts. I was trying to figure out the ID of the pump, so I was sizing it with various pieces of PVC pipe. 3/8" I believe was the exact size (I would have to go back and look) fix in very snuggly.

Ok now I'm getting confused.LOL

Post #12.
I'm under the assumption that the pumps fitting will accept 1/2" OD tube, not 3/8" OD PVC.

The best way to do this is to use 1/2" OD tube INTO the pump, that has a ID of 3/8". This will let you change from the pump size tube to 1/2" ID and whatever OD if you use the barb in the pic.

RIG RIDER said:
Ok now I'm getting confused.LOL

Post #12.
I'm under the assumption that the pumps fitting will accept 1/2" OD tube, not 3/8" OD PVC.

The best way to do this is to use 1/2" OD tube INTO the pump, that has a ID of 3/8". This will let you change from the pump size tube to 1/2" ID and whatever OD if you use the barb in the pic.

The pump has a small little fitter on it (you can see it in my previous post up above, its the blue thing) that has 1/2" on it. Now, taking a small piece of 3/8" PVC, it will slide into the hole of the pump, and fit snuggly, no issues. What does this equate to in the sense of a fitter?

I really dont care *how* this is accomplished, I just want to be able to *get* it accomplished.

Back