• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI temp Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SlntAgent

ok..anyone else have this problem

i have dual 7800 gtxs in SLI mode...my upper card runs considerably (like 10 deg higher) hotter than my lower card...anyone else have this? now i know heat rises...but will it do that much of a jump in temp?!?

Try putting a 120mm in your case so that it blows in the empty space between your card cause that's where all the hot air is generated and your upper card just sucks it up.

I had similar problem with my GS's and solved it with 120mm.

well with my mobo i have the 7800 then a xfi card...then a empty slot...then another 7800... you think laying an extra 120mm ontop of the xfi card will cool it down enough???

i know it will always be hotter...but recently i became temp crazy (recently went to watercooled)...and i started to monitor temps and was like WTF that is hot...so ill lay a 120mm ontop of the xfi sound card until i can find a suitable PCI fan

SlntAgent said:
i know it will always be hotter...but recently i became temp crazy (recently went to watercooled)...and i started to monitor temps and was like WTF that is hot...so ill lay a 120mm ontop of the xfi sound card until i can find a suitable PCI fan

Don't bother with PCI fans. I have a Vantec fan card and it only makes things worse cause it needs at least two empty PCI slots from the card to work effectively.

Putting a 120mm fan over the will blow cold air in and for best performance it would be to place it behind the cards if possible and removing all of your PCI brackets so that way it would it would blow cold air on the cards and the excess (hot air) will espace at the rear of the case.

ok ill have to figure out a way to mount a 120mm fan to blow air across the board and out the back...hmmm...i have the armor case..so i have the room...but any ideas on how to mount it....i had an idea but my res for my WC system is in the way....hmm

If you have extra zip ties, duct tape and along with that I used one of those sticks that you use to eat Japanese food (don't know what you call them) and sliced them tin enough so that they can go through those holes above PCI brackets and I mounted the fan on it with zip tie and secured it with some duct tape.

There are tons of way of doing it, you just need to be creative.

You might want to take a look at this thread.

It's about the temps of two 7800GTs.

I helped my problem by installing two AC Silencer 5s - which vent out the back.

But the top card is still hotter by 5-10 degrees.

Edit to add a picture of my setup:

slicoolers.jpg

It's pretty tight with the X-Fi sitting in between. The rubber piece is to keep the end of the X-Fi from touching the fan on the upper Silencer.

Last edited:
ill try the 120mm fan route first...if not then ill just water cool the top once i find a suitable WC method

Why does the top card run hot? Is the top card used more than the bottom one? Will the top one still run warmer than the bottom one on watercooling?

White Runner said:
Why does the top card run hot? Is the top card used more than the bottom one?
Nope. Here's the answer from above . . .

RedDragonXXX said:
Try putting a 120mm in your case so that it blows in the empty space between your card cause that's where all the hot air is generated and your upper card just sucks it up.

White Runner said:
Will the top one still run warmer than the bottom one on watercooling?
The GPUs should be at the same temp but the RAM on the upper card will still run hotter since it's air-cooled. Unless you use a Danger Den NV-78 which watercools the GPU and RAM.

White Runner said:
Why does the top card run hot? Is the top card used more than the bottom one? Will the top one still run warmer than the bottom one on watercooling?

If you're running the stock coolers, the bottom card is going to exhaust hot air into the upper card.

In my setup with the NV Silencers exhausting out the back, the upper card is hotter mostly because its intake is partially blocked by the X-Fi card.

Not to mention heat generally rises, so the lower card is going to be sitting in warmer air.

As for the upper card "working harder" IIRC it does handle the 'management' overhead coordinating the division of labor among the two cards. So that might be a factor as well - but I doubt it's a major one.

Last edited:
Back