• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Powersupply for video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
!King_Amazon! said:
I recommend a powmax they were very well recommended in my other thread.

Incorrect.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
One of the worst. They will take other hardware along when they die. The PC P&C 1kW is very much overkill... you could power at least 5 such systems from it. I haven't recommended it for a single computer yet - there just isn't anything out there outside the server realm that requires it.

My suggestion: http://www.directron.com/atx350pa.html

There are a lot of other very good models from the likes of Fortron, Sparkle, OCZ, Tagan, Enhance, Silverstone, Seasonic, Antec, and Enermax to name a few. All of them will hold up better over time than a Powmax. Just be sure the new PSU is capable of at least 18A on the 12v rail(s) and you should be ok.

Powmax are one of the worst brands.

fhanderson said:
This may be of interest to every one. This could most likely be adapted to run a 12V water pump or extra fans.
Powersupply

Interesting little PSU, though I'd like to see Fortron release an equivalent to Zippy's PSL-6701P instead ;)

!King_Amazon! said:

My favorite quotes from Newegg regarding the Powmax "Demon" psu:

"it burnt out while my comp was in "standby." explain that one."

"There are some great fans on this, but the amount of air they can move is reduced by about 2/3 by some flashy metal plates that you actually have to open the power supply to remove. I never did this, as heating wasn't an issue with a dead PS"

"Plugged it in, heard a loud pop, then the house circuit breaker tripped."

"Other Thoughts: don't buy it"

--maybe one of their cases might be alright, but I wouldn't touch a Powmax with a ten foot pole tied to a dead cat tied to a fishing rod... err, I mean, if I had one of those... It's also interesting that this thing used to have alot more negative reviews... now pages 11-15 of the reviews are all positives... hmm. Shady, newegg, shady.

!King_Amazon! said:

No they are not very good and stop recomending them I recommend a Fortron or an OCZ instead.

Neat idea.

I don't know why video card manufacturers don't just provide external power bricks now.

JCLW said:
Neat idea.

I don't know why video card manufacturers don't just provide external power bricks now.

saw one of those for the dual 7800gt they had out (think it was asus not 100% though) looked pretty interesting.

J-Mag said:
Do you have multiple personality disorder?

laff i was wondering that too when i read that.

A lot of tower cases can have two PSU's... The problem is everyone wants a small little Mid tower or smaller... MEN want TOWERS OF POWER!!!!!!!! :)

Back