• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any benefit to a new bios for GF2 GTS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hooziewhatsit

Hey all, I have an Asus v7700 Deluxe (32meg) card with the Chrontel TV encoder. I currently have a video bios of 2.15.... I was wondering if there is any advantage to updating the bios to something newer?

Right now I can only get 600x800 with tv-out. Will that increase any with a newer bios?

any recommendations for a new bios version?

thanks

i think the bios is included with new drivers? get the det 22.50s bestn drivers yet.....

No, I'm talking about the bios on the board. Kind of like how the bios for a motherboard is different than the drivers.

I think I'll try some drivers I found and see if they help at all.

The following is a reply I gave to "PipeBom" back in September, he asked basically the same question...
Here's an example of changes between one minor update to another, taken from Nvidia's BIOS release notes. Most changes are hardware related, but some performance gain can be noticeable between revisions (mainly depends on your setup). The most noticeable gains can be achieved when updating to a major revision level from a major level.

Correct problem of Philips TV encoders not outputting color on TV
display.
Remove extra TV-disable sequence when disabling PAL TV.
Fix 32-bit Protected Mode Interface to BIOS (VBE/Core 3.0, i.PM Entry PointlE).
Fix the flickering in the double buffering VBETEST by moving wait for v- sync after the display address had been written, not before. VBETEST application would start drawing over the frame that was still visible, but now makes sure the frame address had changed.

Add code to correct issue initializing Infineon memory on certain OEM boards.
Update TV-detection code to set or clear scratch bits to indicate that TV is available (or not).
Change detect-display-device code to not turn off the TV if it is present.
Fix Chrontel NTSC modes 102, 103, 10e, 10f, 130, 131, 132, 133, 114, 115, 134, 135, and 136, which were incorrectly programmed.
Add NV11 desktop and mobile horizontal displacement changes for NTSC and PAL.
Chrontel: set register 1B[4:4]=1 to work around h-sync setup and hold- time bug by inverting P-OUT polarity.
Add pusha and popa to OEMFixupSetmode(). Fixes boot problem on 840 systems.
Remove check for the virtualize-encoder flag in OEMDetectTV(). This allows TV detection to work even if the virtualize encoder bit is set.
Avoid unslaving the CRTC when disabling the TV if a panel is active; this prevents an issue with NV11 mobile dual-link LVDS bloom.
Consolidate dummy functions using labels to conserve space.
Add dummy function label for getting current head.
Add code to Int10 entry to unlock extensions on both heads (if available) on BIOS entry.
Force BIOS entry to use head A after unlock.
Add code to Int10 exit to lock extensions on both heads (if available) on BIOS exit.
Maintain whatever head the BIOS sets as active (if available) on exit from the BIOS (instead of forcing head A as before).
Move the check for the virtual encoder from isTV() to OEMDetectTV() and OEMEnableTV(). This fixes the issue in which the BIOS
reprogrammed the encoder in a DOS box.
If you're interested, here's a thread with instructions on updating your BIOS with an Nvidia reference BIOS...

http://forums.overclockers.ws/vb/showthread.php?threadid=29687

You can download the latest Reference BIOS for your card from Ray Adam's site here...

http://www.x-bios.3dgames.ru/

is it completely safe to use nvidia reference BIOS or its better to use the card manufacter's ones?

oTTO said:
is it completely safe to use nvidia reference BIOS or its better to use the card manufacter's ones?
From my experience, flashing with Nvidia Reference BIOS's has always had a positive effect on my system (i.e., manufacturers tend to disable Sidebanding by default in their BIOS's...using a Reference BIOS re-enables that option). This in conjunction with the ability to enable Fast Writes in the BIOS, normally makes quite a bit of difference in visual quality and speed.

Some of the newer Nvidia drivers disable Sidebanding even though it's enabled in the BIOS (the 21.83's for example)...using the 22.50's re-enable Sidebanding for some reason. If the drivers are WQHL, they will disable Sidebanding even though it's enabled in the BIOS.

You might want to read through some of the posts at M3dZone here...

http://www.m3dzone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=22

...and check out some of the results that other people have had after flashing with a Reference BIOS. You'll just have to try it on your own system and see if there is a noticeable difference...if not, as long as you have a back-up copy of the original BIOS (using DumpBIOS)...you can always flash back to the Manufacturer's BIOS.;)

awww man, i was looking forward to a performance increas and found out i had the newest bios :(.....oh well....guess im stuck with my 3dmark Score.....

Back