• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The best ALL-IN-ONE out there

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ticktock123

I was looking though the computer section of my local book store and i happen to find a book that is over 1600 pages long :eh?: . Its title is "Upgrading and Repairing PCs". While looking though it i was just amazed by how much information there really was. It had everything from AGP to PCI to CPU and memory timeings.

my vote will be for this book, that it will probably be/is the best one out there. What does everyone else think?
Take care

oh yeah here is an outside link to it :CLICK ME:

I haven't looked at that particular book, but in general I think that beyond the very basics things just change to fast. By the time a book is published there will be some new technology that it is missing, and an old technology that is no longer used will be discussed. The problem with it is the upgrading portion, upgrading implies moving into newer technology. It is impossible to keep the information up to date, but online or in magazines it is much easier.

Now, for just general information on how things work, what each part does, etc. they can be good. So a book on general computer building, repair, and troubleshooting might be ok. Even then things can change so much that it is hard to keep up with the latest hardware and software.

the upgrading and repairing PCs books are a good resource to have. i haven't looked at one in like six years but it was very informative back then, it reads like a technical manual with some history thrown in. thomson/prometric (i think) makes a good textbook that covers computers, networking, the internet, etc., it reads more like a history book and less like a technical manual. it was a fun book to read.

Back