• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BOINC, its not just SETI 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SunRedRX7

From the thread that started this forum I learned something.

Not many people know what BOINC is, or if they do, they just think its the 2nd version of the SETI program.

So heres what BOINC is. BOINC stands for Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing. BOINC itself isn't a distributed computing project, but rather a platform for DCs to run on.

Basicly what that means is you install BOINC, then can use BOINC to connect to different projects, you can see a list in the link above of some of the projects. The BOINC manager program takes care of the downloading of applications and work units returning of work for all your projects that you may attach to.

One of the advantages of BOINC is that you can run more then one project and setup resource shares for how much time you want to donate to each project. So maybe you do want to help the SETI team search for aliens, but maybe your also interested in doing some Protein folding, or long term climate prediction? Well now you can.

Some of us are big time numbers peoples, we like to see our credits go up as we complete more and more work. So your thinking well if I join multiple projects my credits are all split up, this is another are where BOINC offers something cool. A total score amongst all the projects you've joined, as every project you join, as long as you use the same email address, will sync up a Cross project ID for you which can be used by stats sites to give you a total score. This same system also works for teams, as you'll notice for many of the other projects is an overclockers.com team.

So if you want to help out us BOINCers, theres a wide selection of choices for what interests you. If you have questions feel free to ask questions and I'll try and help you out as I can.

For a list of projects http://boinc.berkeley.edu/
Unofficial BOINC Wiki! http://boinc-doc.net/boinc-wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
BOINCstats.com - BOINC Statistics http://www.boincstats.com/

I didn't know you guys had Boinc teams. Can you list which projects OCForums runs?

edit- I joined your team on these projects-
climate prediction
einstein
LHC
Predictor
Seti
Simap

and will join on Rosetta as soon as their website comes up.

Last edited:
You can check to see if we have a BOINC team by looking up the name "Overclockers.com", if we don't have a BOINC team for the project your interested in, we can make one.

Just make sure the name of the team is overclockers.com.

I'll see what I can do, works been hectic the last few months, but we managed to get ahead of ourselves enough where we have Good Friday off :)

I really can't figure out how to get my BOINC working correctly. Right now I'm doing 2 projects on this computer - primegrid and climateprediction. I want primegrid to always have one of the cores (I have a p4 w/ HT) and climateprediction to have the other one.

On the resource share I have each one set to 50%, it's set for 2 cores, etc etc. Either BOINC is running 2 primegrid tasks or 2 climate predictions, I can't figure it out!

Karbon: A 50% resource setting with two attached projects will result in roughly equal amounts of work for each project, but not necessarily one of each project at a time. The system will assign the work in order to reach your resource setting but may be 100% to a single project at any one time.

Back