• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New: Thermaltake Mini Typhoon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks pretty decent, but that type fan doesn't look to me like it would be too efficient. I think you would have a loss of efficiency with the open casing design on the fan.

I would think so too but the fan design is pretty close to the one used by Arctic Cooling for their Freezer series. Testing will tell.

hmm.. was the open design an attempt to make it quieter? cuz i think thats why they did that.

sorry for the poor grammar.. >.<

I think that would be an awesome heatsink if you slapped a blower on it, or maybe ducted a fan. If its under $35, it might be worth getting.

OOOOOO... they just now figuring out the ancient chinese trick of cutting fan casing off.... I have done this with a couple cheapie 80mm fans and WOW the difference is AMAZING... a noticible sound difference but the big kicker WAY more airflow no joke. Im running one in my Cs Servers PSU right now and DAMN that think pushes soo much air. that thing looks KILLER... all copper damn... now they just got to get their fan ratings right and we will be good.

i was about to get the huge typhoon, but if this one performs well, maybe i'll consider buying it.

Look at the retention system :eek:

No more devil nuts and bolts!!!

The open fan design actually isn't all that inefficient. The fan still pulls air down, but it also pulls it in from the sides towards the center, it reduces alot of air noise as it gets rid of almost any whistle present. So you hear motor noise before you hear alot of air movement noise.

Looks like it could be a competitor, prolly won't be much cheaper than the BT though because of all the copper in use.

Last edited:
I got to looking at this and it's "big Brother", actually this one is taller if you look at the specs, unless it's just the fan on this one making it taller. But if I ever get the money for another build I would seriously consider this heatsink, cause I have the regular BT and am very pleased with it's performance.

Why couldnt this have came out sooner? I currently have the Big Typoon, but i would end up upgrading the fan on this one just like i did on mine :)

im glad TT decided to revise the fan. The BT is a great cooler, but alot of the times the fan is right up on the side panel. Now with the mini Typhoon, the fan can grab more air from its surroundings.

Back