• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good for Comp/360 combo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NsOmNiA91130

I found this browsing through random sites, and it seems to be a good deal. Offers a multitude of inputs, including component, comes with a remote, and can display 1080i signals. But meh, I don't know much about monitor deals, so whatever.

I hate this. I don't know how these companies can get away with saying this monitor will support 1080i when 1080i is 1920X1080 and the max resolution on the monitor is 1024x768. Hell, it won't even do 720p 1280x720. I guess signal compatibility means that it's dsp will downgrade the picture to 480p.

The short answer: No.

theres a 20.1" viewsonic widescreen which is 1680x1050 and it's 430 shipped from newegg...no hassle 20.1" is an incredible deal, only the 2005 will beet it in price and that's with coupons (so you ahve to wait)

Dell 2005fpw

It's under $400 right now and has component video inputs for your 360, and the resolution is 1680x1050.

That monitor is not an HDTV, its native res. is 800x600. Not even widescreen. You'd be wasting your time playing 360 in 1080i on that. The Dell, on the other hand, will look amazing.

Last edited:
Sorry that Dell will not work for High-Def as it does not have Component inputs, it has Composite(standard RCA), Svideo, HDMI and VGA. You'd have to use the Xbox360 VGA cable which does NOT support 1080i, only 720p read below.
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/40/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/p1/

I, myself have not found a monitor that will 1920x1080 via component. I think you're going to have to go with a separate TV and monitor in order to get full resolution on the 360.

So, essentially, get a TV and keep my monitors? I found some nice ones at Circuit City and Sears, I'll continue looking.

EDIT: What about this ?

I heard Trinitron is a great brand for tubes.

Last edited:
That TV sux, it's just a standard TV, won't even do 480p.

Right now my 360 is on my big-screen widescreen. I just built a media room and as soon as the carpet goes down I'm saving my pennies to replace my old 27" gaming-TV with this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03002&id=1099394446947

What you need to look for is a TV that is preferrably widescreen (not 4:3) and whose NATIVE RESOLUTION is 1080i or 1920X1080. It is nice if it can do 720p but not necessary (the one I linked to does not). It's also nice because it has HDMI because component input will be obsolete in a few years.

Last edited:
...I can barely fit a 20" TV, and having anything over 720p would be a waste of pixels (and money).

If I had the money, I would get something like this, but I don't, so that's why I'm looking.

Last edited:
if you want 1080i it'll cost 800 bucks min for something to display it. (and that's the dell 2405)

the 2005 with a VGA connection will let you do 720p, I truly believe the 2005 for viewsonic 20.1 are your best options. LCD TV's are a totaly and utter COMPLETE RIPOFF.

Well it's up to you, MS says games play better in 720p than 1080i due to the 60fps refresh vs the 30fps but I have 2 games in front of me right now that support 1080i.

NsOmNiA91130 said:
...I can barely fit a 20" TV, and having anything over 720p would be a waste of pixels (and money).

If I had the money, I would get something like this, but I don't, so that's why I'm looking.
While the picture is probably gorgeous on that sharp, it's rez is 1024x768 and therefore not true high definition.

Your basically going to be looking at 19", 20", 21" widescreen lcd's. My advice would be not to rush into any purchase because i can almost guarantee you'll be missing something....and end up with a boatload of buyers remorse.

Since the xbox currently only ouputs via analog at the moment (vga + component) you could *possibly* try the Costco 19" widescreen special for $230: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11108993&whse=BC&topnav=&browse= . The greatest benefit being costco's liberal return policy (If you're not satisfied, they'll take it back, no questions asked). There are inexpensive 24" or 26" CRT tube televisions capable of displaying a quality 1080i signal, and xbox360 supposedly looks great on them, but i'm forgetting exact model numbers (i see them discussed every once in a while).

But otherwise i'd prefer sticking with my original advice: research, research and research till you find the exact display you're looking for. Just browse these or other hardware forums, high-definition monitors are a hot topic, you'll have enough reading to keep you busy for a month ;).

Back