• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ide promise raid to Sata NV Raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FattyMcNastyXK

Bambam's soldier
My motherboard is the SOLTEK SL-K8TPro-939. It has PATA raid as well as SATA raid. I have 2x200gb ATA 133 Maxtor hard drives in RAID 0 for storage. I want to upgrade to like an Asus A8N-SLI board but it does not have an extra ATA slot for just RAID and I have 4 ATA devices already. I have already read the SATA 101 about changing RAID controllers but I don't know if that is relevent to this.

My solutions and problems:

I guess I can get a RAID controller card for my hard drives but will i be able to easily switch without losing data?

I can also buy some converters and plug in the Hard drives into the SATA RAID slots but how would i convert that without losing data?

And I also suppose I can put my HDD on the ATA channels and use the converters on my optical drives. Then I would need to convert the Promise RAID to NV RAID.

Which is the best and how would I make that work?

Thank you for your help!

Unless you switch to the exact promise chip that your current motherboard uses you will need to rebuild the RAID. Most systems do not have PATA RAID now days so your best bet would be to get a Promise ATA RAID card with the same chip as the one you have. Regardless I highly recommend backing up your data since even switching to a Promise RAID could be incompatible.

Back