• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The I-ram is here..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I posted the link in the other I-ram thread (thegreek's) hear in the storage area.. I missed my thread, thanks HousERaT.

this has got to be the stupidest product ever... let me run my logic by you...

they design a solid-state drive with the intent of faster access times and higher read/write rates. then they hook it up to the pc through SATA...

the card is already PLUGGED INTO THE MOBO! Holy cow, why not just use the PCI bus?? idiots... the only advantage I can see from this is the access times- otherwise for the money you can build a cheap array that will perform the same or better...

check out: ddrdrive.com
Ive been waiting on it to come out for months. It is basically the same thing, but it uses the PCI bus instead of the SATA bus.

=P

adamwinn said:
check out: ddrdrive.com
Ive been waiting on it to come out for months. It is basically the same thing, but it uses the PCI bus instead of the SATA bus.

=P

Ummm... a non descript two page site with no information, and just a contact link? You got some additional info you want to share with the rest of the class?

greenmaji said:
@adamwinn.. yes, but can you use the ddrdrive as a boot drive?
but the bandwith of the PCI bus is 133 MB/s , SATA is 187 MB/s.. were is the bottleneck?
http://www.acme.com/build_a_pc/bandwidth.html

...and can you run two of them in raid0? Which leads me to my next question...

Who's gonna volonteer to send me two I-Ram's so I can bench them in raid? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

There's a guy over at 2cpu with eight Irams in RAID 0 on an Areca 1220 ;)

He gets ~1GB/s read/write regardless of block size or outstanding I/Os.

The PCI bus has a bandwidth of 133MB/sec shared among all devices on it, and latencies that let the computer "lock onto" a device for a specific ammount of time, so the total bandwidth is even less than you'd expect. By comparison SATA is actually the faster bus (187MB/sec) and you don't have any weird latency issues to worry about. If you want to argue about putting it onto a PCI-Express lane, well, that'd seriously pump up the bandwidth. But then again, so would putting it onto SATA 2. :)

Besides, bandwidth isn't the only important factor. SATA provides a ton more flexibility, which can be valuable. If 4GB is too small (or 187MB/sec too slow), you can always RAID them like any hard drive. Also, using the drive to boot to windows is possible since its just another drive as far as the BIOS is concerned. This also means there's no worrying about drivers and updates, since it doesn't need any more than what's needed for your SATA controler.

/me actually loves that they used the SATA bus instead of PCI or PCI-E :)

BTW, if you really want a drive that uses the PCI bus, check out the Rocket Drive. It's been around for a while, so no need for waiting. It uses SDR (not DDR) memory though, and is a wee bit expensive at $1,599.00 for the version pre-populated with 2GB ($2,999.00 for the 4GB, and they don't sell the bare card).

JigPu

That seems like such little bandwidth for the supporting ram that it can use. It says it uses up to pc3200 which is 3.2GB/s or 6.4GB/s if it supports dual channel. Way too much for either pci or SATA. They should go with pc2100 or less. Other wise it is a waste of money.

JCLW said:
There's a guy over at 2cpu with eight Irams in RAID 0 on an Areca 1220 ;)

He gets ~1GB/s read/write regardless of block size or outstanding I/Os.

1GB/s HOLY CRAP!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

JCLW.. linkage please.. :D

san_guy said:
We took a 3U rack mount chassis and installed a 8 PCI slot passive backplane. Into that backplane we plugged in 8 IRAM's each with 4Gb to give 32Gb total. We went with 1Gb DIMM's as having the extra IRAM's would help performance since each IRAM is limited to 1.5Gbps minus any overhead.

We then used two external 4 port SATA multilane backpanel connectors to give us two nice IB ports on the back of this 3U chassis, each going to 4 of the IRAM's sata ports.

On the host machine we added an Areca 1220 8 port SATA card connected to two 4 port SATA mutilane like on the 3U. 2 IB cables of 0,5m link the host to this 3U "SSD" chassis.

We then created a RAID0 stripe across the 8 IRAM's and use it for a very busy temporary database.

What did this do for us?

It allowed us to scale by a factor of 60X the performance of our application, without having to rewrite one line of code. It is now running far faster on a simple 2 way dual core AMD box (280's) and this IRAM disk then it did on a very expensive 32 CPU sequent Windows 2000 DCE box with a SAN of 500+ FC spindles off of it.

So for us the ~ $25K for the IRAM setup replaced over $1.5M worth of very high end hardware with something that is dead simple to maintain. The whole IRAM setup is less than the yearly maintanance of the Sequent!

Running IOmeter on this shows 980MB/s of read *or* write bandwidth *regardless* of the IO block size or the outstanding requests. IOPS scale perfectly as well. Not sure what SATA command overhead is but we are quite close the theorectical 1.2GB/s this should give us.

http://forums.2cpu.com/showpost.php?p=615984&postcount=58

As I've said before, why can't they make one that fits in a 5-1/4" drive bay (3-1/2" would be even better). Then you could just use a molex for power, and a SATA cable.

1 gb/s. wow. you could copy your whole hard drive 10 times in under a minute.

8 x I-RAM's - 112 x 8 = $896
32 x 1GB DDR Sticks - 60 x 32 = $1920
1 x Areca ARC-1220 PCI-E = $560

TOTAL = $3376 for 32GB Hard Drive reading and write at 1GB/s ($105.50 per GB)

Totally sweet...

However, while this is great as an entusiast product, they need to use the same technology but open up a market for those without the budget to afford to use full on system ram as storage. Start production on very cheap RAM chips. It will be slower, say DDR66 speed. Offer 16GB/32GB/64GB+ of it built into a drive. PROFIT.

I'd buy it...

@JCLW.. I can't belive you guys over at 2CPU havn't asked to see pictures of san_guy's hardware :eek:

I wonder what a 8 pci backplane in a 3U case looks like. :cool:

Sorry guys, I typod on my original post. The ddrdrive that I am waiting for uses PCI-E as AVRO pointed out.

Ive been incontact with the makers of the product and its going to be very, very exciting when it arrives.

Back