• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The I-ram is here..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
JCLW said:
General backplane pictures: http://www.portwell.com/bpicmg.htm

People have some really cool hardware over at 2cpu in general.

HA! you guys dont want me.. I would so be wanting to know how to install and work on that hardware (and as much as I might be able to afford some of that hardware I would seiously need to contain myself :p )

ohhhhh but when the core archetecture makes it to SMP I might be forced to dabble.. :bang head

adamwinn said:
Sorry guys, I typod on my original post. The ddrdrive that I am waiting for uses PCI-E as AVRO pointed out.

Ive been incontact with the makers of the product and its going to be very, very exciting when it arrives.

so it will be PCI-e X1 right well thats 250mb/s and isnt raidable..
SATA 3.0 would be a bit faster and raidable.. to get more bandwith.. so unless they want to SAS/SCSI/Fiber these things your not going to find a better solution (and SATA 3 is about it for keeping costs down)

JCLW said:
There's a guy over at 2cpu with eight Irams in RAID 0 on an Areca 1220 ;)

He gets ~1GB/s read/write regardless of block size or outstanding I/Os.
that is absolutly insane....

JCLW said:
As I've said before, why can't they make one that fits in a 5-1/4" drive bay (3-1/2" would be even better). Then you could just use a molex for power, and a SATA cable.
The problem with this is that once you turn your system off, the drive would be erased since your molex will no longer be providing power. PCI provides standby power (for wake-on-lan/wake-on-ring/wake-on-whatever) which this card taps into for constant (...well, as long as the PSU is plugged in ;)) power.

I suppose they could make a cable that would run from the PCI slot to the 5-1/4" bay, thread a wire from a power adapter through the case, but both are rather inelegant. What I personally think they should do is put it in an external 5-1/4" drive cage, and use an external SATA interface. This would provide more physical space, so you could add more RAM, a much larger battery, etc. Of course, external SATA is a bit rare even among most computer nerds like us :D

JigPu

the 5V coming off the PSU is hot when the computer is off, thats how the PCI bus has power when the computer is off.. sorry but there seems to be some misunderstanding on the details of how systems work in this thread.

If the price went down on these quite a bit, and you could rig them up to the 5V without the PCI slot and mount them, using as many I-Rams in RAID 0 as possible without filling them up full with ram (even just one stick each) would help alot with throughput.

Im currious how much a modern rig. can handle as far as data throughput is conserned though a controller on the PCIe (like an 8channel SAS/SATA contoller). would that be 4Gb/s? that would be about 27 I-rams? or 16 SATA2 I-rams.. hmmm who needs 4Gb/s anyway :) HA!

Back