• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The I-ram is here..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i remember awhile back the expected price being around $300. i'm glad its half that.

i wonder the i-ram has settings to o/c the ram you put in it???

as much as i'd rather have an amd64 rig, i'm very curious about the performace of this? can you move games over to it or how would you use this?

the bandwith of SATA limits it, so overclocking the ram should be about useless..
you can use it as a boot drive so sure you could move your pagefile.sys over to it or move some programs to it or install your OS on it, of course it isnt going to have enough space for all of that. 4Gigs really isnt enough for XP IMHO but Im sure a slim install of it could be worked out..

cheapest on the egg is about 60 bucks for a gig stick.

I havnt checked ebay for cheap DDR 200 sticks though.

Maxi has one with I think 3 gigs or ram...... He'll be testing later this week or early next week.

$340 is the cheapest I can find right now for the I-ram and the sticks to populate it..
so $500 sounds a bit steep to me.

were did Maxi post that he had one?.. well.. maybe he'll post his results here in the storage area.. Im currious what Ram he paired up with it but it was likely ram he already had..

For $50 I might give it a shot, but for $150 I'll wait it out. And Honest I was slightly disappointed by the reviews. It should blow any hard disk setup out of the water, and does to a point. But- it is limited by SATA and ram limit per slot.

Bios24 said:
For $50 I might give it a shot, but for $150 I'll wait it out. And Honest I was slightly disappointed by the reviews. It should blow any hard disk setup out of the water, and does to a point. But- it is limited by SATA and ram limit per slot.
When the SATAII version comes out it'll be a different story.

I am at a loss as to why they made it DDR instead of DDR2.. DDR2 sticks are cheaper now, the traces are alot more complcated but I figured that a motherboard manifacture wouldn't have any problems with that.. And what whould have been the cost diffrence for SATA2 instead of SATA, completely neglagable IMO.
They just don't have any competetion or they would have went strait to a DDR2/SATA2 product.
Using something like this for swap files would be great though.

Got one coming into the shop at 3 this wed. should be interesting as we have about 4 gb of DDR400 hangin around =)

Might buy it if i like it. trying to find a bench mark that compares it to the raptor... but i've been unsuccessful so far.

~ Gos

eWiz appears to have it for only $120 (not sure about shipping). The RAM will still be expensive, but any $$$ saved is a good thing :D

JigPu

Goshawk said:
Got one coming into the shop at 3 this wed. should be interesting as we have about 4 gb of DDR400 hangin around =)

Might buy it if i like it. trying to find a bench mark that compares it to the raptor... but i've been unsuccessful so far.

~ Gos
Please post the results when you get it. I'd like to see how it compares to a raptor also, maybe even scsi for that matter.

ewiz is selling the version 1.1
I cant remember the diffences in the versions though there is a v.1.2 and 1.3 as well..
the egg's advertizing the 1.2 last time I looked.

and when I looked at ewiz last they were selling it for $112 what happened.. do they have the 1.2 now?

lol whe nI read through that the package contents said "1 gigabyte i-ram" and I was like no way they ship it with a gig and it still only costs that much???

but then I realized they were just talking about name of the card.... :(

ROFL! gigabyte is the name of the company that makes it, they have been making motherboards forever.. but thats not cool that you got confused by it..

greenmaji said:
ROFL! gigabyte is the name of the company that makes it, they have been making motherboards forever.. but thats not cool that you got confused by it..

Yeah I know, thought it was funny when I read it wrong.

Back