• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cj's Newbie Mandrake Install Questions!!1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cjwinnit

B&
Ok, managed to get my secondary rig running Mandrake Community 10.1 on a P4 2 Ghz on noname board. Unfortunately my internet connection consists of the library and the pdf guide for mandrake doesn't fit on a floppy :( so I may have a lot of questions. A few for now:
  • I can't see my second hard drive (NTFS partition). Any way to do so?
  • Can I get VNC Server running?
  • Where is Apache/MySQL/PHP?? (thought it would be on there somewhere but can't see it.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll bore you with more questions soon.

Cjwinnit said:
  • I can't see my second hard drive (NTFS partition). Any way to do so?
  • Can I get VNC Server running?
  • Where is Apache/MySQL/PHP?? (thought it would be on there somewhere but can't see it.
Q1:
It should be /dev/hda2 or something something similar that. Try mounting it as root and look in /mnt/hda2.

Q2:
Sure, you might have to install one and you will probably have to run a second X server (on :1) but it should work fine. You could also enable a module in your X config file so you could connect to your main X server :)0). Check the docs for the VNC version you are going to use. I know some of them allow doing this.

Q3:
I'm not exactly sure how Mandrake manages servers and things but you could check for MySQL and things just by typing "mysql" on the command line and see if it works. (Even if you haven't started mysqld, at least you will get an error message that says that)

Apache may have been installed, but I doubt PHP was installed. It could have been, though, so do look at all your installed packages and see what you have. I have used kpackage on Mandrake before for looking at all the installed packages.

Somebody else who has used Mandrake more recently can help out a lot more than that, I'm sure. The last time I tried Mandrake was a looooooooong time ago. (And I hated it)

Back