• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Backup HDD Failed After 3 Weeks...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

ok i purchased a seagate barracuda 400gb hdd + usb enclosure for backup of all my files and did a fresh format of all my drives.

well last night the damn thing decided it wasnt gonna boot after just working 5 minutes earlier.

for some stupid freaking reason it will act like its spinning up and than stop and start to try to spin up again.

im really ****ed off because i no longer have any of the files from the past 2 years... including almost 30,000 personal pictures and files. Not to mention all my business contacts.

well i turned off the drive for the night, threw it in the freezer trick, that didnt work still doing the same thing. Threw it in another pc, same thing. also tried it in my own pc, same thing. The damn thing gets extremely hot while tryin to boot up.

akldfjaskdjfasl;kfjasl;djfkl;djfal;skdjfasjfa

i think im gonna cry cause i dont know wtf to do.

This really sucks, this is why I always use at least 2 types of storage media - hard drives and dvd's. Maybe now you can start looking into RAID1 or RAID5.

I don't know what I'll do if I lost all of my things either, it really sucks man.

thegreek said:
This really sucks, this is why I always use at least 2 types of storage media - hard drives and dvd's. Maybe now you can start looking into RAID1 or RAID5.

I don't know what I'll do if I lost all of my things either, it really sucks man.

im about to start a lawsuit for everyone who has been screwed by faulty hardware... hmm a national lawsuit against seagate :) sounds like fuN?

Try removing the drive from the enclosure and installing it in your PC.
I would bet it's the USB controller in the enclosure.

By any chance did the enclosure have some form of active cooling?

I notice my Seagates get HOT (hotter than Raptor...), so I do not put them in anything but enclosures with active cooling. Maybe yours burnt up?

neonblingbling said:
By any chance did the enclosure have some form of active cooling?

I notice my Seagates get HOT (hotter than Raptor...), so I do not put them in anything but enclosures with active cooling. Maybe yours burnt up?

lol a small 40mm fan... maybe 60mm cant be sure... drive is working grabbing the files now and than rma.

First thing is you probably killed it and killed any chance of getting any data off of it by putting it in the freezer!

That is for the very very very last chance at recovering data and has to be done in a certain way.

Your best bet is to put it in a computer and boot a knoppix disk. If you can see the data then mount a different drive in that computer writable and copy the data you want to save. (Knoppix mounts drives read only by default) Good luck

Now my question to you is did you turn it off or unplug it without using the safely remove hardware icon in your system tray?

Kendan said:
First thing is you probably killed it and killed any chance of getting any data off of it by putting it in the freezer!

That is for the very very very last chance at recovering data and has to be done in a certain way.

Your best bet is to put it in a computer and boot a knoppix disk. If you can see the data then mount a different drive in that computer writable and copy the data you want to save. (Knoppix mounts drives read only by default) Good luck

Now my question to you is did you turn it off or unplug it without using the safely remove hardware icon in your system tray?

you didnt read my last post did you? all data is fine, the drive is running like it did when it was brand new and im recovering all data as we speak.. and its not longer overheating either.

I know it is a tender subject right now, I thought the idea of a true backup is to have two copies of important data, so if one fails (which can happen it anytime, even when new) you have the other.
Personally I hate the idea of wasting space on duplicates, yet for piece of mind it must be done.

microfire said:
I know it is a tender subject right now, I thought the idea of a true backup is to have two copies of important data, so if one fails (which can happen it anytime, even when new) you have the other.
Personally I hate the idea of wasting space on duplicates, yet for piece of mind it must be done.

Exactly...keep the original AND the backup...if possible not in the same system nor in the same room.

Fr3@k3r said:
you didnt read my last post did you? all data is fine, the drive is running like it did when it was brand new and im recovering all data as we speak.. and its not longer overheating either.

My info is still very relevant.

Kendan said:

thanks for the post, i just burned an .iso of the full version of ubcd 3.4, does this have a utility to do this? i looked at the program list but i can't make any sense of it. also, i haven't used the cd yet. i was doing a search on hdd wiping and it came up. i d/l'd--->burned it just for safe keeping.

Beginner said:
thanks for the post, i just burned an .iso of the full version of ubcd 3.4, does this have a utility to do this? i looked at the program list but i can't make any sense of it. also, i haven't used the cd yet. i was doing a search on hdd wiping and it came up. i d/l'd--->burned it just for safe keeping.

UBCD is very useful but it is not a linux boot disk like knoppix.

For those that do not know of UBCD check out: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

For knoppix check out: http://www.knoppix.com

Fr3@k3r said:
ok i purchased a seagate barracuda 400gb hdd + usb enclosure for backup of all my files and did a fresh format of all my drives.

well last night the damn thing decided it wasnt gonna boot after just working 5 minutes earlier.

for some stupid freaking reason it will act like its spinning up and than stop and start to try to spin up again.

im really ****ed off because i no longer have any of the files from the past 2 years... including almost 30,000 personal pictures and files. Not to mention all my business contacts.

well i turned off the drive for the night, threw it in the freezer trick, that didnt work still doing the same thing. Threw it in another pc, same thing. also tried it in my own pc, same thing. The damn thing gets extremely hot while tryin to boot up.

akldfjaskdjfasl;kfjasl;djfkl;djfal;skdjfasjfa

i think im gonna cry cause i dont know wtf to do.

I had bad luck with Seagate, too, but not 3 strikes for Seagate yet.

The problem wasn't as bad as the problem you have.

I purchased a Seagate Barracuda 80 GB UDMA 100 PATA HDD on May 14, 2005.

It was emitting squeaks when there's a lot of seeking. Not only that, in late May, 2005 or early June, 2005, ActiveSMART, which is a SMART monitoring utility, projected HDD failure as early as June, 2005! :eek:

Thus I returned the HDD on June 2, 2005!

I'm not gonna tolerate a new HDD with a bad SMART status!

Luckly, there wasn't any bad sectors when Windows 2000 Pro was installed on it. Also, Windows 2000 Pro didn't have any disk errors.

The model is ST380013A.

That HDD's the one I'm p***** about in my sig. ;)

Last edited:
Back