• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's that time again...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beau_zo_brehm

Well guys, about a year and a half ago I built my first computer. Yes, it was an Intel. I had a good experience with my Intel CPU, but this time I'm going with an AMD!!

Tell me what you guys think, regarding improvements, or anything I might have forgotten.

Case: Cooler Master Stacker - $180
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 500 Watt - $87
Motherboard: DFI LanParty UT - $120
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ - $463
RAM: Crucial Technology Ballistix 1GB - $105
Video Card: XFX Nvidia 6800 XT 256MB - $140
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 74 GB 10,000 RPM - Salvage
Monitor: 21" LCD Monitor - Salvage
Mouse: Salvage
Keyboard: Salvage
Sound Card: M-AUDIO 7.1 Channels - $95
Speakers: Salvage
Combo Drive: SAMSUNG Black Combo Drive - $30
DVD-RW Drive: BenQ Black DVD Burner - $38

Total: $1258

Im not sure about the pricing, as everything in NZ is wayy overpriced.. but I would have gone with the DFI-LanParty nF4 SLI-DR, or the Ultra D and mod it to SLI-DR instead, but Im probably biased as I have the SLI-DR. As for everything else, looks like its gonna be a pretty sweet system :D especially if youre shifting from Intel->AMD

Careface*

What motherboard do you have now?

you might be able to pop a 920 in there for a temperary fix untill conroe comes out.

Last edited:
greenmaji said:
What motherboard do you have now?

you might be able to pop a 920 in there for a temperary fix untill conroe comes out.

too late :p

i ordered the system last night.

hey sounds like a good system, I'd be surprised if you didnt hit 2.6. the only think i woulda changed would be get a 6800gs, 4 more pipes and a faster clock (i think thats right)
but you already ordered... so yeah lol sounds good

Dan Derrig said:
hey sounds like a good system, I'd be surprised if you didnt hit 2.6. the only think i woulda changed would be get a 6800gs, 4 more pipes and a faster clock (i think thats right)
but you already ordered... so yeah lol sounds good

I'm actually not planning to overclock it.. I would, but I overclocked my Intel and ended up having permanent stability issues. I do think that I might overclock my RAM a little though. It should end up being a good system either way, I think.

beau_zo_brehm said:
I'm actually not planning to overclock it.. I would, but I overclocked my Intel and ended up having permanent stability issues. I do think that I might overclock my RAM a little though. It should end up being a good system either way, I think.

some OCed systems can have stabilty problems from lack of enough voltage (Ive seen this with telly rigs) the mobo doesnt give high enough voltage under load, expecialy a non Vdroop moded Asus board.
IOW it might not have been you OC.

but no matter, good luck with the new build :D

greenmaji said:
some OCed systems can have stabilty problems from lack of enough voltage (Ive seen this with telly rigs) the mobo doesnt give high enough voltage under load, expecialy a non Vdroop moded Asus board.
IOW it might not have been you OC.

but no matter, good luck with the new build :D

You're exactly right, I had problems with my voltages dropping under load.

Oh yahh, and my order from newegg came in yesterday. WOW I did not realize how awesome a Cooler Master Stacker really is. I'm going to start building it today after I pick up an anti-static wristband.

Back