• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OS Switch When Vista Happens?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oroka Sempai said:
No activation on Ultimate Edition? That cant be right, if that was the case, everyone would download the uber edition and use it, kinda like people use XP Pro with a coperate key.
<snip>

Code:
Feature    | Str | Home N | Home B | Home P | Bus N | Bus | Sm Bus | Ent | Ult |
Activation | Yes | Yes    | Yes    | Yes    | No    | No  | No     | No  | No  |

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions.asp

That is my source for this information. Did I get something wrong or has something changed?

I'm just now planning on going to XP, Vista will be a while off after a computer upgrade.

I'd have to get a free IT copy of Ult Vista to change at this point. If I want better eye candy on my computer, I'll just put some of my Photos on it.:)

gt24 said:
Code:
Feature    | Str | Home N | Home B | Home P | Bus N | Bus | Sm Bus | Ent | Ult |
Activation | Yes | Yes    | Yes    | Yes    | No    | No  | No     | No  | No  |

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions.asp

That is my source for this information. Did I get something wrong or has something changed?

Very interesting. Now, on the source link, it says "Windows Activation Services"... not just Activation. Is this just another name for the activation, or another thing for other software?

The more I read about Vista, the more unimpressed I am. I'm currently shaking my angry fist at Microsoft.

I suppose eventually we will have no choice if you want to stick with Windows. Just like 95, 98, and soon 2000 are no longer supported or updated, so will XP one day. I might upgrade then on all my machines if I am satisfied with my test install.

Oroka Sempai said:
Very interesting. Now, on the source link, it says "Windows Activation Services"... not just Activation. Is this just another name for the activation, or another thing for other software?

I don't know... besides, no feature list will be 100% accurate, the only real deal is when Vista itself is released. However, that tenative feature list does give a glimmer of hope, assuming that the user would pay the price.

However, Vista inherently "talks" to Microsoft in that you can upgrade your Vista installation to a higher version using an in place update system. Your Vista DVD is all non-business versions of Vista and your key turns on certain restrictions to your OS that make it fit the name (like Home). Thus, your purchases unlock the restrictions...

In theory, it is interesting... in practice, it could be a disaster... and to prevent a disaster might mean a new type of activation that we are unaware of. Heck, the "activation services" might mean that your OS might or might not deactivate in 30 days however as for talking to Microsoft or not, you cannot necessarily guarantee that your OS will refuse to do that.

Well, I doubt Vista will fly. Vista right now takes a pretty powerful computer run it. The average schmuck right now probably has a 2-3 year old computer which means that they probably have a decent computer and I highly doubt they'd want to spend several hundred dollars to upgrade and/or buy a new computer. I'd venture a guess that the specs look something like 2.3 GHz P4, 512 MB RAM, a decent to low-end video card (if applicable). To have a gaming experience equivalent to a system with 512 MB RAM they'd have to have 2+ GB RAM, which we all know Joe Sixpack doesn't have. And if they were to run it they would need serious upgrades. Hell, I have serious doubts I could run Call of Duty 2 on the highest settings I have them on now in XP if I switched to Vista.

I will probably just keep XP pro for gaming, and stick mainly to a linux distro for everything else.

pejsaboy said:
i personally am planning a switch from windows altogether [not just because of vista]. i'll dual-boot with linux until i've gotten everything working the way i want, and then windows will be going bye-bye. i feel that if i'm going to be paying for something [especially as expensive as windows is], it needs to work properly, and it needs to be fixed when it doesn't. vista may or may not be a step in the right direction as far as stability and functionality and all that go, but windows in general is still a ways off from being an operating system that i would *want* to buy.

Unfortunately it's unlikely that DX10 games (when they start coming out in 2+ years) will run in linux for a LOOOONG time, so unfortunately you will probably stuck running vista for dx10 games.

I love linux, that makes me sad, but it's probably true. If DX10 is as highly integrated into vista as I've heard, linux gaming might be in trouble... Maybe we will get lucky and a badass new ms-***-whipping version of opengl will come out :D

Back