• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI in laptops is here!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Monster is right...
Keyboard looks kinda strange too, but who cares about looks when you have SLi in a lappy? :D

but why? other than maybe for a design pro to do presentations I can't see the point, it's just like a PC that isn't very upgradeable or overclockable.

My god!!! Thats nice, but..... BIG!!
I mean, I'd love one of those for my graphical work (3D modelling), but how the heck does one expect anyone to carry that thing around with them?
Oh, how hot does it get? Enough to burn something on the male speicies? ;)

Oh and I doubt if it would go on your lap either, still, I can just cope with a 15.4 in laptop (and chuck a 15.2in laptop in my bag when I need it.). Next point, deskspace, but thats another issue, especially when it comes to trains!

Only things missing on that laptop is an extra core and it's own zip code.

I hope the next model up continues the awsomeness that is sager meaning dual Opticals and RAID capable.

SLI with the 7900s is much easier than with the 7800s the new process Nvidia uses is "much more energy efficient" relative to the 7800s.

I hope sager brings a Dual Dual core laptop to market soon.

If someone is constantly on the move I can totaly see this as a desktop replacement. I myself have my sys in sig and a 9200 to carry whenever I go on trips and just to have a second computer up when this one is down for installs/tweaks. But that also cost me a fair penny...for 3k you get a very powerful system (yeah not as quick as a desktop) but all your files and settings and the last document you worked on are on that computer, no hassle changing stuff around.

I for one don't care about laptop size. I mean I guess I am just very huge and strong like that (5' 10" and 165lbs) but I can actualy carry a 9lb laptop believe or not (yeah I know I told ya I was strong).

It is a nice laptop, BUT, I thought laptops were meant to be a little more portable. I'm sorry if you think I'm lazy or something but 14.55lbs is pushing it for a laptop. And it probably gets a little to hot for me to have on my lap. But still, it is a great laptop(specs wise).

Either ya'll have not been to college, or you have not taken alot of hours at once. 14 lbs aint squat ;)

Now, compared to some laptops, this is a beast, but I've seen and worked on laptops this large (was on one two days ago with RAID) and it is portable, as long as you're willing to carry it. Much easier to carry this than to carry a midtower/monitor to a LAN :)

>HyperlogiK< said:
but why? other than maybe for a design pro to do presentations I can't see the point, it's just like a PC that isn't very upgradeable or overclockable.

one reason i could see would be to play games while on the road.

while 3k is alot to some people to others its not even a weeks worth of work.

id be interested in something like this so i could play all the games i like while i travel and not have to lug around a full desktop machine (like i do now) to setup in a hotel room.

hawtrawkr said:
id be interested in something like this so i could play all the games i like while i travel and not have to lug around a full desktop machine (like i do now) to setup in a hotel room.

Wow, you drag a desktop around to hotels to game? That is gamer dedication! :p

Another reason that I would not want it is for the battery life. I am in vehicles a pretty good bit and do not always have a way to plug in a laptop. I know that monster couldnt get much on battery life. But I still have to say that it does have nice specs.

>HyperlogiK< said:

Portability?

All in one design ?

let see you lug around your full tower and 19" LCD to a lan - vs the other guy with a notebook he pulls out of his napsack......

Another reason that I would not want it is for the battery life. I am in vehicles a pretty good bit and do not always have a way to plug in a laptop. I know that monster couldnt get much on battery life. But I still have to say that it does have nice specs.

If your looking for battery life you would not be buying a desktop replacement system.

Last edited:
As a notebook this machine is practically worthless. I can't imagine trying to do any normal notebook tasks with it. I'd start laughing if I saw somebody take one of these into class, the battery would probably die halfway through the first lecture.

They might as well not even have a battery on the damn thing because it is worthless. It's more like a UPS than a battery lol.

However, I can see the value to the 'road warrior' and what not. I'd consider something like this if I end up in the middle east again because you tend to move around a lot and anything fragile that you can't carry on your person tends to be destroyed, and space can be quite meagre.

I take between 15-20 credits every quarter and I would never consider a 15 lb notebook. I rarely bring books to lecture and I can comfortably carry my 4 lb notebook everywhere and not worry about it going dead over a whole class day without hooking up to the grid (6 hours). Also it can run SNES/NES/GENESIS emulators for about 5 hours so it makes for great entertainment with an xbox controller on planes. People with these abominations get about 30 minutes of play time and then are stuck watching the damn in flight movie the next 6.

I can agree that this would make a great desktop replacement system but you still couldnt upgrade or overclock it much if any. Also if you look at what I wrote you will see that I said that was some of the reasons that I would not get it. I didnt say you.

Stoanhart said:
Wow, you drag a desktop around to hotels to game? That is gamer dedication! :p

every single time. i have a laptop i use through work but it blows for gaming and i havent bought a laptop because the gaming orientated ones are so pricey and i keep throwing my extra dollars into desktop parts :shrug:

for 3k that doesnt sound like a bad deal for the size of the monitor and everything. definantly sounds like something that can game well and would be a hell of alot easier transportation wise (would just have to tote it and a keyboard/mouse with me)

SuperFarStucker said:
They might as well not even have a battery on the damn thing because it is worthless. It's more like a UPS than a battery lol.

laff glad to see i wasnt the only one thinking that. i couldnt see the battery lasting a hour while gaming thing looks like a real hog without even factoring in the cpu. id like to see some reviews of it and some benchs as its all pretty much guesswork atm.

Back