• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

at wits end with this board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wrangler88

ok so i got a bad p5wd2-p sent it to asus they sent me a new one, now it worked for a day, overclocked it and it wanted to reboot and after the reboot the monitor just blinks and it doesnt post, cleared the cmos still wont post, i had this same exact problem with my last board after the reboot, if i put all the same components into my gigabyte 975 board they all work great.. anyone explain this? why does this keep happening it seems after the reboot after overclocking the board dies?
thanks guys, i was so happy i got the board back and now nothing this makes no sense...

Wrangler.. What kind of Video card.

ALSO... Watch the Keyboard leds on powerup. What do they do.?

Wait 20 seconds after powering on and try to toggle the caps lock button on the keyboard. Does the Caps lock LED toggle along with the key press.?

its a 7800gt pcie, ive tried swapping in a pci and still no luck, all the fans turn on , the hard drive light stays on for about 10 seconds and the cd drive blinks a few times when i press the on button, but after that the monitor just blinks on and off like no signal, its jus twierd because i had all these components in the gigabyte board with no issues, and now AGAIN the same issue with this board....

Wrangler what heatsink are you using? If you are using one where metal rests aganst the CPU socket area that is the problem. There are several poorly coated traces around the socket on the front side of the motherboard which shorts out (for example while using the LGA775 bracket from thermalright)

To test if you are having this issue get out your stock cooler. You will immediately find that it will be working perfectally. The other way of testing this is by booting in single-channel with the ram in various slots (the short prevents normal boots in dual-channel).

That is partially what I use to wake my board up. I reseat the ram till it POSTs then I shut it off and add the other stick.

I thought one of my boards was bad as well but im on that very same board as we speak.

im using an xp120 heatsink with the 775 adapter, so if it was shorting it out is there any damange to the board? ill try your ideas sent, and HOPEFULLY thats it, i still have my stock cooler which i can thro on and see if that does anything, thanks again guys, ill let u know how it turns out!

The CPU is definately not running.

Here's what I do to check if the CPU is powered up. It sounds nuts but it determines if the core is running and the power, reset circuitry is good. Just gives another piece of the puzzle:

Remove the HSF or water block.
Press your thumb on the CPU IHS
Turn power on
You should feel the heat within 3-5 seconds
And, then maybe turn power off....Or run a few Super PIs this way...If you alternate thumbs real fast you may be able to keep it under 50c...LOL

There's a lot of housekeeping the hardware does before applying power to the CPU and the power supply also has overcurrent/overvoltage protection.

If there's a short, PSU problem, etc the core will stay cold.If the ram, video, etc was bad the core will still get hot.

well took the heatsink off and the cpu DOES get hot, wow, really fast too still wont post tho, tried 2 differnt sticks of ram in differnt slots and still nothing, any other ideas, the MB is out of the case ,so its not a grounding problem, i just dont get how my gigabyte board works te first time with all the components, rails on the psu seem excellent, any other guesses.. not sure they will get me RMA this one again...

Well at least you have the core running, so there's no shorts in the 12v. Have you tried Sen's idea of removing the bracketing and going back to the stock HSF.?

Why don't you unplug the video, SATA, ATA, everything but the keyboard and see if the LEDS flash on powerup. Keep in mind this only works with the PS2 interface and not USB keyboards.

yep tried that, no blinks on the keyboard.. ugh is this board dead too? i just dont get if i plug everthing back into my gigabyte board it all works just fine!!! odds o having 2 bad p5wd2-ps just doesnt make sense!

Was your Thermaltake brackets reused from another MB?

Personally, I would do what they suggest tak the MB off the MB tray and examine it. You need to check the socket area for TC spillage, dust, anything. Use an old toothbrush...just use your own Toothbrush and get one at your local store later on tonight. With some alcohol (at least 80% or better) and clean out debris that you find that cannot be removed by a can of air. Also exam the rest of the board for "light color" marks and pay attention for the smell of burning solder as well as bulging caps and burn mosfets. You have to take time and really examine this. It might be something simple as suggest earlier.

Back