• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

24" Sony CRT $399 w/ shipping, wow? or crap?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got tons of these here at school. I don't know anything about monitors. Is there anything in particular you want me to try out or anything for you folks?

The only use I've put them to is working with large excel spreadsheets. :p

Just wondering if the IQ is comparable to a high end LCD or better (i.e. dell 2000 series), or would it be like running on my 640x480 TV :p

twoeyes said:
Just wondering if the IQ is comparable to a high end LCD or better (i.e. dell 2000 series), or would it be like running on my 640x480 TV :p

The colors and black levels will always be better on the CRT which is most important if you play games or watch movies, but LCD's have high contrast ratios that make your picture look more clearer and brighter.

If you can bare with the size then deff get it.

Yeah those suckers are nice...if you've got the deskspace for it then by all means go for it. Free shipping is nice, that thing has to weigh 80lbs.

the crt is very attractive to me cause i dont have to run it at its native resolution... so gaming at lower resolutions is doable, I could probably get about $200 for my current lcd

twoeyes said:
I don't notice anything noteworthy about it. The higher resolutions get a little blurry for text, but it looks like any other CRT to me for the most part. I did sort of want one for myself the first time I saw them.

dude, go for it. you can also use it with LCD shutter glasses for stereospoic 3d gaming. Also, your refresh rates should be much higher than a standard monitor at the lower resolutions. That's important for ease of viewing and for gaming. (Also helps on the stereo-3d viewing.)

haha i'm torn this monitor looks so nice :) still got a couple days to think it through at least.

hmm yeah i guess that is a pretty long time, but i leave my PC on most of the day anyway

wow! i wish i could get one of those! havent managed to find anything like that in the UK (been afew mths since i checked)

Alright so its a battle between this and the 2005FPW, what do you guys think?

Gautam said:
I don't notice anything noteworthy about it. The higher resolutions get a little blurry for text, but it looks like any other CRT to me for the most part. I did sort of want one for myself the first time I saw them.

I got one free that was being thrown out a little while ago, and it rocks. It was blurry initially with only a regular HD15 cable, but using a BNC cable really improved the sharpness. There is also a discussion here:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=446353&highlight=monitor+pots
and here:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=952788&page=1&pp=40
about adjusting the focus on them.

It is great for movies and gaming if you have a big desk, but $399 is quite a lot of money considering that you can get them second hand for next to nothing (because everybody is obsessed with TFTs).

Yeah TFT are a novelty, but w/e if people werent obsessed with them i would have never gotten my 20" dell p990 ultrascan for $20 at a garage sale lol its just annoying how people think that games and videos are nicer on LCD TFT and plasma, meanwhile I notice all the slower refesh speeds of the lcds etc and it drives me mad. Plus running an LCD at a resolution that it wasnt optimized for makes it look crappy. aka running a lcd with 1600x1200 pixels at any other resolution results in choppyness because the pixels are so much bigger than a CRT.

Skeith said:
Yeah TFT are a novelty, but w/e if people werent obsessed with them i would have never gotten my 20" dell p990 ultrascan for $20 at a garage sale lol its just annoying how people think that games and videos are nicer on LCD TFT and plasma, meanwhile I notice all the slower refesh speeds of the lcds etc and it drives me mad. Plus running an LCD at a resolution that it wasnt optimized for makes it look crappy. aka running a lcd with 1600x1200 pixels at any other resolution results in choppyness because the pixels are so much bigger than a CRT.
Thank you, I hate it when people buy expensive LCDs, put SDTV on it and act as if its the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. It's like they're blinded by the ridiculous amount of money they put in. I get it, its small...it still looks like ****.

LOL yeah my friend thinks hers is so nice, yeah so its small... clean your desk and you can fit a CRT on it, plus you spend like $300 on it and its what... 13"? Not to mention they are famous for dead pixels and the most hated shadowing effect from the backlight (usualy appears near the corners).
And i deffinately cant stand a screen that can only be seen from a certain angle.

I have the GDM-FW900 (24" CRT) and I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove it!

Back