• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright SK-6 w/ 80mm 50cfm fan, still hot!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nil_esh

I have a 1.4 TBird and I'm using a Thermalright SK-6 with 80mm Sunon Super High Output 50cfm rigged onto it (the 60mm fans just didn't cut it, even at 40 cfm) and I still can't cool it down.

CPU: TBird 1.4
HSF: Thermalright SK-6 w/ 80mm Sunon 50.6 cfm
Mobo: Asus a7v266
Case: Antec SX635
Ambient: 27C
Case Sensor: 29C
CPU Sensor: 50C idle / 57C load
Arctic Silver II

I'm going to try a shim/spacer in case the Sk-6 is not sitting correctly on the die, but I think it is. Btw, the 80mm on the SK-6 lowered my CPU temps by 2C (over the YSTech 60mm 40.1 cfm) and made my PC much quieter, probably cools memory and other chips some more, too. I used one big clamp and one small clamp with corners under clamps and used twisty ties to hold the clamps together.

Any thoughts on why my temps are so high? Is the ambient temp just too hot for normal air cooling?

And I'm using MotherBoardMonitor for the readings. The fan is blowing into the heatsink. I'm not really planning to overclock (though it would be nice), I just want to be able to load my CPU (e.g. SETI) without worrying.

Those temps seem odd compared to what I have seen with others sk-6's
what kind of air flow are you getting through your case?

LOL... your using a Asus board man.. The temp sensor on those are all off. I just dont get why poeple dont buy a $15 temp probe and know there getting acurate temps, it will save you a headache. Motherboard sensors are aweful and i will never trust them again.

The air flow is decent. A 80mm Sunon Low Output (36 cfm) in the back pushing air out. Two similar 80mm fans in the front, a 92mm fan in the 5.25" drive cage pulling air in. In retrospect I should've gone for the tower (Antec 835 or whatever) for the extra outtake fan, since there's more air going in than out, though the power supply has pretty good fans. Going to get some 80mm Panaflo High Outputs (39.6 cfm) to improve the airflow a bit. I've tried various other combinations (including CPU) of my fans with similar results. Using the Sunon 50cfm as the outtake didn't help.

Good to hear that Asus has screwy temp sensors :) I was actually planning to order a temp probe because I didn't entirely trust the readings I was getting. Maybe my CPU really is cool, I just don't know it yet...

You should get a compunurse, like mEKBOY said. I have mine hooked up with a switch so i can display up to six different thermistors.

I have mine hooked up with a switch so i can display up to six different thermistors.

Hmmm... now that's a good idea, is it just a rotary switch with a common ground? I've got a radio shack indoor/outdoor but it read about 2C over true also... oh wellz. whatever works, right???
Peace
John

Back