• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fferrett's WC Worklog - Ongoing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks nice Fferrett,

I would second the thought on using the rad as an intake. This is what I have been brainstorming over for a while for myself. My idea so far is to have the rad be flush with the case, have spacers between the rad and the (interior/bottom in your case) fans, and in that space put a filter with a shroud around it. Also I'm thinking of using some wire mess to keep the fiber like filter from getting eaten up by the fans (have run into this issue already with my current air cools system). Having the intake setup like this would give you positive pressure and you wouldn't have to deal with dust getting sucked in from all openings of your case ;).

Everything else looks very nice, I'm looking forward to seeing this progress!

Burdman

Fferrett said:
Oh shoot!!

<jk> In the bottom PSU bay

lol got me there :p

I didnt even realize there was a PSU bay down there. I really like that case next case I get will deffinitly be the same :)

Perium said:
Excellent job, Wont most of the hoses interfear with the cd-rom bays?

The top (3) 5.25 bays do have tubing crowding their space. The bottom three are fully available. I doubt I'll have more than two utilized. a DVD-RW and a future HD-DVD or something.

I'll probably place a fan controller, media bay, or LCD/VFD panel up in the top bays -- they don't need depth, just the front panel space.

Searching for some 12cm and PSU air filters now. for the case intakes.

hey your case looks awesome...I figured having the fans facing out would be too loud...does it still work well when facing in? pa120 is better for lower cfm fans right? I just wanna get a pa120.3 in to a $150 dollar case maybe $200, and not have it be loud!

I've got a long way to go before I'll see this thing running, but my intentions are to run as close to silent as possible.

I'm using (6) Scythe fans with fluid dynamic bearings... (3 case fans, 3 rad fans)

Model # SFF21F

Dimensions 120x120x25mm
Fan Speed 1600rpm
Fan Noise 28dBA
Air Flow 63.7CFM
Rated Current 0.2A

I'll be pushing up through the rad from 40-63CFMs. I'll have the fans on a controller and don't expect more than 22dB of noise. I've chosen the PA120.3 because of its sheer size and design for low CFM fans. The case will will have some acoustic dampening and all fans, pump, drives, & PSU will be gasketed to cut down vibration and resonance.

awesome...gasketed...? whats that mean...keep us posted...

22-28dba...thats REALLY quiet isn't it, like chipset loud?

andyisc00l said:
awesome...gasketed...? whats that mean...keep us posted...

22-28dba...thats REALLY quiet isn't it, like chipset loud?

What he means by gaskets is just silicone that is inserted between the fan and the case. An example of one is Here They absorb the vibrations coming from the fan instead of sending the vibrations throughout the case, which in turn makes noise.

Summers Over -- Continuing build

Ok.. project has been on a shelf for a while, now that conroe is out, time to complete it.

Some hardware updates:

Lian-li PC-G70
Intel E6600 Conroe
Asus P5W DH Mainboard
2GB Patriot DDR2-800
Sapphire 1900XTX
(2) Seagate 7200.10 320GB Sata drives
(1) Seagate 7200.10 320GB drive n an Azio eSata external enclosure (backup drive)
Mitsumi FA404M-Black 7-in-1 USB 2.0 Media Drive
Plextor PX-755SA DVD±R/RW (sata)
Thermochill PA120.3 Rad
(6) Scythe 12cm FDB SSF21F Fans - Quiet Fans..
Enermax Liberty 620 - mounting in bottom PSU bay
(2) Samsung 204B 20.1" 5ms LCD digital panels. Sahweet!

on order:
ATI TV Wonder 650.

I've built it up enough to test run. I'm not satisfied with the (2) segates in RAID 1 - I'm used to the speed of more spindles and will probably buy two more to RAID 10 (1+0). Its fast.. just not fast enough.

Cables ... This huge case makes most cables seem short and tend to hang - will have to replace most of the stock sata cables from the P5W DH with longer runs. The fan and some of the power runs could use a little extention as welll. I'd like to clean this up before continuing to add the watercooling. custom wiring will be necessary.

Sound dampening.. Need to line this case with dampening.. the aluminum tends to resonate with the drive noise.

Ok.. Waterblocks & pumps have changed a bit since i last looked in spring. I'd like to watercool the CPU, VGA, and Northbridge... Already have the PA120.3 with 1/2" barbs.. any recommendations on the latest options and suggested layout? Quiet is a preference.

Which Maze4 chipset block?

Giblet Plus! said:
Looks pretty slick. What waterblocks are you going with?

You should have plenty of room to work with for cable management when you get longer cables.

Put in orders for:

DD TDX 775 CPU Block
DD Tyee w/bridge GPU block
Alphacool Laing DDC+ Ultra pump (with modded top & 1/2 barbs)
BlueSwiftech coolsleeves
7/16 swiftech PVC clear tubing
(2) AquaXtreme G3/8 BSPP threaded HiFlow fittings to replace the stock plastic Thermochill Pa120.3 fittings

They should arrive in a little bit.. ground takes time... oh well time enough to plan the loop routing.

Still trying to decide between the Swifty MCW30 and the Maze 4 chipset block. Anyone know which Maze4 fits the best on the Asus P5W DH northbridge hooks?

Back