• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core Voltage help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Manad

Hey guys,

First can I start by saying how mad this site is. I've found it the best source on info out there.
Since I first found this site my fps has gone through the roof! However, I still NEED more speed!

I'm running a Cele 766 at 863 with a fat arse GlobalWin FOP-38 (Geez, I thought my stereo was loud). My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-6VXC7-4X.

At the moment I have the bus set to 75, but I'd like to take this up to 100. Every time I try this my system won't even start up. Now I know right now you guys are saying just raise ther core voltage you twit, but I'm not exactly sure how to do this.

I've been going through the forum and articles for a good while now and every now and then someone will mention colouring the spot where the jumper is suppose to be with a pencil. I'm pretty sure this is the technique I have to use, but whenever I try it the vcore stays the same. Can someone please help me out with more info on how to do this?

The other stuff I have is:
Nvidia Tnt2 M64,
256 SDRAM,
Realtec 10/100 network,
Rockwell 56k Modem
Dodgy Yamaha soundcard,
Acer 10x8x32 burner,
50x cd,
30gig 7200 HD,
another dodgy 20gig,
Ultimate HD cooler

Thanx, you guys rock!

Manad:D

There is one great problem with the Celeron 766: Too high multiplier - 11.5x . It's really hard to make them run @ 1.15 GHz (100 MHz FSB). You'd probably need a high Vcore rise, peltier(s) and water cooling in order to reach that speed...
The pencil method you're mentioning, is for the AMD Duron and Thunderbird processors in order to eliminate the multiplier lock. As far as I've seen, your motherboard autodetects the Vcore, and you're probably not able to set it to a higher value yourself (but I believe there is a method of changing Vcore on Coppermine processors by breaking pins, but I think that's way too risky).
I think you're able to rise the FSB to 83 MHz and reach 958 MHz. But the PCI and AGP bus speeds get a little too high at 83 MHz FSB, which some hard drives don't like - with the possible cause of data corruption.

Doh,

At this stage temp isn't a problem. My processor is running at 25C
with my case at 29.

I had it start up once with an FSB of 83, but haven't been able to do it since. I don't think I'm doing anything different.

Yeah, I was a little concerned about the PCI/AGP freq cause if I put the FSB to 83, the PCI/AGP runs at 44 doesn't it? From what I've read here on the forum there seems to be a difference of opinion as to if that is bad or not.

With the pencil method, I know that's used for amd's, but on my motherboard I have a jumper called Over Voltage CUP Speed Up, although there isn't actually any jumpers there. There's just the points with soldier where I presume one could be placed.

This jumper has options of normal, 10%, 20% etc.

83 MHz FSB gives an AGP speed of 83 MHz(of course) and a PCI speed of 41.5 MHz. My first disk, a Maxtor 3.2 GB, didn't even like 75 MHz FSB (37.5 MHz PCI).
The thing of solder points where jumpers should have been, is pretty irritating. My PC is (was) a ready-built Hyundai, which was originally rigged with a Celeron 300 and a MSI MS-6126 mainboard with on-board sound and video. (Now I've replaced just about everything inside the case.) The manual said the only FSB speed was 66 MHz, but there were printed jumper settings on the mainboard for 66, 68, 75 and 83 MHz. But: There were only solder points where the jumpers should have been. I tried making 0.5 cm long pieces of guitar string and put them over the solder points (with some paper tape) to short them . This way, I should in theory have 75 or 83 MHz FSB. But no, the FSB stayed at 66 MHz. I had that mainboard in one year before I purchased the Aopen 'board, and knowing that I had the most overclockable processor without being able to overclock it, irritated me quite a lot.
I guess that the reason of why there are only solder points instead of jumpers, is because the function is disabled anyway.

Maybe you should try getting a 100 MHz FSB Celeron, preferably an 850 or a 900...

Back