• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow Browser Speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itshondo

I have used Xandros 3, Suse 10, Mandrake 10, Vector Linux, Fedora Core 5, and Ubuntu distros.

Only Xandros has browser speed equal to Windows, the rest are very sluggish when going to new pages or links.

This using Konquerour, Firefox and Opera.

My Hardware is in my sig- An Nforce 2 chipset and Athlon XP mobile.

Does this sound like a driver issue with the built in LAN or maybe a cofiguration setting? I did disable the firewall in Fedora and it didn't help.

Thanks-

Have you tried disabling ipv6?

Code:
echo "alias net-pf-10 off" > /etc/modprobe.conf

No I haven't- would I paste that in a terminal window as root?

I typed in the code as you suggested, in a terminal widow. Hit enter. Closed window.

No noticable change.

Had to wait 10 seconds for the forums to load from a bookmark.

this On Vector Linux (Slackware).

Most pages take 3-4 seconds to load here running Gentoo and FireFox with a cable connection. :shrug: I'm not sure what the difference could be with Xandros and all the other distros.

itshondo, you and I have similar hardware (XP2500M, 512MB Mushkin lvl2, AIW9600, DFI NF2 board). But like khiloa, I'm running gentoo and my firefox loads pages rather quickly.

On first read, it sounds like a DNS resolving issue. In firefox, visit both ocforums.com, then visit 69.20.37.110, and see if there is a speed difference.

BTW, which of the distros that you listed are you currently running?

Sounds like it is still looking for the ipv6 first, then the ipv4.

If you use KDE there is a setting in the control panel to turn ipv6 off for KDE apps, and in firefox you can type in "about:config", do a search for ipv6, and change "disable ipv6" to true.

There are other things you can try, but those make the biggest differences that I have noticed.

About the modprobe.conf, some distros don't recommend direct changes to that file. The file in some is not static, so therefor you have to make some changes to other files. Your modprobe.conf file will tell you at the top (or it should) if you look at it.

I am running Debian on a DSL connection, and pages don't take near that long to load. They are almost instant unless there is a LOT of pictures, or a LOT of ads.

Fixed- abandoned other distros for PCLinux and Xandros- they have no problems at all.

im having the same problem in pclinuxos. i have an nf7 board and use the on board nic. i did what JerMe said and i loaded "ocforums". it took about 20 seconds. then i loaded "69.20.37.110" loaded right away. also when i dual boot to windows my browser flies. can someone help me. i have dsl and i am behind a linksys router. the other 2 computers on the network have xp and the browsers are very fast. so it is only a problem in linux.

That's odd- I have my "Main Rig" (NF7-S) setup with a dual boot Windows XP & PCLinuxOS ver .92 and it runs flawlessly-.

Opera and Firefox are both faster on Linux than Windows.

I am using the integrated ethernet through a router that is connected to a DSL modem as well.

i've tried suse, kanotix, knoppix,ubuntu,mandrake, kubuntu,and can't remember what else. i wonder if it's my onboard nic. could someone tell me how i can check my dns settings though? i've read a lot about problems with the settings causing slow browser speed but haven't really found a straight forward way to check and solve the issues. i'm pretty new to linux but learning fast.

did the NF7 work with Windows?

You could always try a new network cardif you want.

Have you tried the PCLinuxOS Control Center? there is a whole section for Networking.

yes it works in windows. and it works in linux. but is just very slow in linux. ive gone into the control center. but dont really know what im supposed to do to analyze the problem and fix it.

magnummafia said:
im having the same problem in pclinuxos. i have an nf7 board and use the on board nic. i did what JerMe said and i loaded "ocforums". it took about 20 seconds. then i loaded "69.20.37.110" loaded right away. also when i dual boot to windows my browser flies. can someone help me. i have dsl and i am behind a linksys router. the other 2 computers on the network have xp and the browsers are very fast. so it is only a problem in linux.

Ok the first thing I am seeing is a DNS resolution error. For whatever reason the IP is a straight shot but something is causing DNS errors. Do you have a DNS cache or similar on your box? What it sounds like is a DNS cache is corrupted somewhere.

you might try rebooting the modem-unplug it for 20 seconds, the back in.

That will make it reaquire it's address, possibly solving the problem.

In the Networking section of the PCLinuxOS Control Center, there is a section called " Reconfigure an Existing network interface"- open that and make sure that the adapter being used looks like this-

itshondo said:
you might try rebooting the modem-unplug it for 20 seconds, the back in
I have to do that every once in a while, but I usually get all or none of my cable connection, not just a random slower speed like this. :shrug:

yeah, I have to do this every 30-45 days or so. Usually needs to be done when I'm out of town and my wife can't get online.

"OK honey, now you gotta...."

Back