• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do I need windows CD for new mobo, cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pariell

I have a AMD athlon 3200+ and an old K7triton MOBO and I decided to upgrade somewhat. So I splurged and bought me a dual core 3800+A64 and an ABIT AV8 939 guru mobo. :)
Well i know how to build a PC but im not sure if I need the windows CD if I go and replace both of those parts. My problem is that my Windows xp cd went for a neverending trip with one of 'those' people that borrow CD's and then lose them.
So am I screwed and have to go buy another copy or will it be ok or theres a way around it?

You will need to get another copy.

Firstly, mobo and CPU change will require reactivation, BUT the main thing is there will be too many differnet drivers and it will cause a lot of problems..

Fresh install is best.

If you aren't in a rush you might try contactin MS about this. Explain that you bought a legal CD, installed it, lost it, and now want to do an upgrade and will need to reinstall. If you have a proof of purchase you might be able to get a replacement, though I have never heard if anyone actually did. Worth a shot though before spending another $100+.

MS just changed the deffintion of a "New" computer to a different mobo and CPU so they may tell you that you have to buy a new copy anyway

I just reactivated a copy of XP on a "new" computer, different MB and CPU. Called MS and they asked if it was installed on any other PCs at the moment, answered no. Asked why different hardware and I said my other hardware failed, so I needed to upgrade. Got a new code for activation within 10 minutes or so for the whole deal.

If it were me I would ask, it is free and could save a fair amount of money.

Back