• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

And Another AMD Socket by the end of 2007...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's necessary I guess? Seeing as the RAM is changing again in 2007 it makes sense to change socket because you (a) need a CPU redesign to support the new ram and (b) changing socket prevents people from using the wrong cpus in the wrong boards ie an AM2 CPU in an AM3 board.

or, like my good friend, who destroyed a perfectly good PIII motherboard and a very expensive at the time athlon because slot 1 != slot A

It will cause for alot of confusion again. Why cant AMD design a socket that can use ddr3 in the future as well?

Well, we may consider the days of the 462 as the golden era in in CPU sockets, but technolgy is just moving too fast to design a socket that can be upgraded for years to come.

rseven said:
Well, we may consider the days of the 462 as the golden era in in CPU sockets, but technolgy is just moving too fast to design a socket that can be upgraded for years to come.
I disagree <points to the venerable Socket 603 Xeons>

These socket changes are not neccessary, its mearly a ploy to force people to keep buying. If you think they could do this on the server market allow me to laugh out loud in advance.

rseven said:

Have to love AMDs decision to use an onboard memory controller ;)

I love my Xeons. Of my purchases, they're the ones I'm most happy with overall.

(Just noticed this is an AMD thread. ;) )

Of course, I'm looking into a dual dual-core opteron rig.

WarriorII said:
AM2 ! am not.........

:bang head

:p

heheh clever :) :beer:

Well, im about to buy a ccbwe 0528 mpmw batch#15. I just bought my current 939 rig just before xmas, i cant see myself spending all that money all over again on another socket, dammit. but seriously, how much faster then this can it get? id probably still be rolling with my nf7 it it didnt die on me, and i thought that was fast until i moved to this.. think it will be the same effect? the feeling of raw powa from 462 to 939?

so, how many AMD sockets are still in production?

754, 940, 939, AM2, AM3....... what else.......?

hookem2oo7 said:
or, like my good friend, who destroyed a perfectly good PIII motherboard and a very expensive at the time athlon because slot 1 != slot A

I snorted coca cola at this statement :eek:

Am I a bad person for laughing?

They did look like each other. When i first saw them (i was like, 12 at the time:D) i thought they were the same.

White Runner said:
sounds like AM2 will be the one to skip... imo similar to skt754...

Nice observation Runner, that makes a lot of sense. We'll definately have to see what happens!

jcw122 said:
Nice observation Runner, that makes a lot of sense. We'll definately have to see what happens!

I hope you don't think I was disrespecting skt754, it was a vast improvement from socket A and I would of upgraded to it, but I wasn't financially able to at the time.

Back