• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does dual core belong here?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

Someone on another thread (where an intel/amd flamewar has hopefully been extingished) mildly questioned whether dual core issues belong in this form. A very good question indeed. Do they?

I'd say no. The issues that one encounters in Dual CPU systems is different than one encounters in a DualCore system I would think... The major difference is the motherboard. I would think dual-core systems have more incommon with single core CPU's as a result of sharing the same system platform.

I agree totally, with dual core there is no worries about what memory do I need, what motherboard do I need, worrying about cooling issues due to two cpus (try running dual noconas (ie two prescotss) in a mid tower), powersupplies is definetly an issue due to power comsumption, and some board at least on the xeon side, don't like dual rail psus.

So my vote is dual core systems should not be included in smp

I also vote they don't belong here, for reasons stated above. Different motherboards, 2+ cpus, memory and power supply requirements are all different.

I vote they are allowed. 2 cores is basically 2 processors. they can set affinity to processes just like their big brothers. I say let them in!

I vote they are allowed. 2 cores is basically 2 processors. they can set affinity to processes just like their big brothers. I say let them in!

I'll give you that, but other than that its completely different. See reasons above

There are memory differences for MPX chipsets, Xeons, Opterons. PSU selection for all the different types of Dual Processors. Should we allow my Dual P200 or not? It has different PSU, RAM issues than my dual Opty. 2 cores is the same as 2 MPs/XPs as far as I am concerned. Should we have a separate section for dual core duallies? Nah. Dual cores have very similar functionality as 2 processors. similar questions about setting affinity, multitasking. We should drop the elitist persona and embrace people that want to learn more about SMP (dual core or multi-cpus)

because dual core single socket pcs are heading --> the new standard, people who want help with them are better off using the other sections of the forum. More people here have experties in dual socket boards non default psu isues /reg-ram hal mps/acpi ishues, IRQs on these strange boards and what cards just don't work right and so on (only recently got my sound cards game port to work and i don't know where it got a free resorce from)

i have just got a non acpi dual slot 1 board that is supposed to be acpi (knew there were problems) so we are more at home truble shooting systems like what hall works on what than saying how high your new dual core will oc

we know where to put your high bandwidth or raid card

perhaps this should be a more workstation/server area

linking to a thread about a cpu is about as much help as we can give with a how high does this dualcore oc, if the question was can i put this dualcore p4 in a xeon board we could ahve advised correct cpu choice.

I think the dual core shouldn't be included here because the differences outweight the similarities. At first I didn't think this way but I also didn't realize how many things are different. And besides pretty soon all cpus being sold will be dual++ cores so the cpu section would eventually cease to exist

What about in the future when most processors will be multi core? In 2 years the only single core chips will probably be the celeron/sempron equivalent of now. And there'll still be dual socket boards supporting mulitcore processors that have special needs, warranting our own section.

Questions pertaining to affinity or software should be welcome though.

I am fairly sure they belong here. IF it is an SMP question. Like, how do i set affinity? Or maybe, how can i tell if this is multi-threaded? But its just like another cpu forum in my eyes. It should go here only if it belongs.

I don't see any reason why it would be needed. Dual CPU's encounter many more problems then your standered dualcore processor. A typical dualcore doesn't really need much more technical knowledge then a single core other then a slightly larger power consumption and a bit more heat. A dual CPU system needs to cool a much larger serface area (two CPU's further appart, ducts, water two blocks etc...). ECC registered ram, server chipsets, 8 pin dual CPU powersupplys, larger motherboard compatibility, compatibility between two different processors, overtaking challenges of overclocking boards not meant to be, space management with larger/more componets, and less parts to choose to upgrade. Basically unless it's a true Dual CPU system (dualcore dual CPU would be fine) then there is no need to be in the SMP forum. That's why the SMP forum was made to have something directed to the unique challenges to build and tweak a system with two processors.

I think they belong in both sections.

Under linux there are very few differences in a kernel for DC and a kernel for dual CPU. Both are compiled as SMP. In the POST of an award-based single socket motherboard, they are listed as ",2 CPUs". Affinity is a common concern, and programs will be coded the same to handle 2 CPUs or 2 cores. SMP is SMP, and this is no different.

However, some people will ask for help in the single CPU section, so I think that it doesn't matter. Just help whoever asks, whereever they ask it.

=ACID RAIN= said:
I think they belong in both sections.

Under linux there are very few differences in a kernel for DC and a kernel for dual CPU. Both are compiled as SMP. In the POST of an award-based single socket motherboard, they are listed as ",2 CPUs". Affinity is a common concern, and programs will be coded the same to handle 2 CPUs or 2 cores. SMP is SMP, and this is no different.

However, some people will ask for help in the single CPU section, so I think that it doesn't matter. Just help whoever asks, whereever they ask it.

That's from a software standpoint, true it compiles as SMP but so does Hyperthreading and that's not SMP, heck why not add Hyperthreading to it also?

There are similarities in the chips between dual core and true SMP... But the important differences as far as the forums are concerned are in the platform, as noted above. The things discussed in this forum focus on issues that are specific to having multiple sockets on the mobo, specific PSU requirements, and other issues that Dual core processor people don't worry about as much.

I'm running a A64x2 and I can't tell the difference from a single core as far as setup/functionality is concerned. The only thing similar is affinity, outside of that, I can't think of anything this SMP forum would have in common with my setup.

Mr. $T$ said:
That's from a software standpoint, true it compiles as SMP but so does Hyperthreading and that's not SMP, heck why not add Hyperthreading to it also?
Good point, but we are talking about two physical cores as opposed to virtual, the main difference being in the way the two cores are linked. I don't think anything should be set in stone in terms of which section they belong in, is all I'm saying. Whether we like it or not, people will come here mistakenly for DC support. I just think we should help them out and not care about which section it's in.

You just have to ask yourself, "What makes my question more technically challenging then a single core varation". This forum is not like a club as someone put, it's a place to answer questions that differ from those found in a single core environment.

It's a very interesting question. I personaly think this forum should be renamed multi-socket computing. As for many reasons stated above about the hardware, I think we should keep clutter from dual core setups at a minimum. I used to have dual xeons and there was excellent support here, now that I have a single socket opto though, I think the majority of support lies in the standard CPU section.
If someone has a technical question regarding SMP software...I guess it could go here, but we have software forums as well.

Back