Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Thermal Paste

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    4

    Thermal Paste

    Before I am going to install the Athlon XP 1600+ with the Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu HSF.
    I would like to know is it necessary to apply thermal paste such as Artic Silver on the bottom of the thermal pad?

    I am completely new to Athlon stuff please guide me to do the installation.

  2. #2
    Inactive Super Quad Mod donny_paycheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    4,446
    If you're using phase change material like a thermal pad then no, but if you have some paste available then I imagine most will agree that it's best to rid yourself of the pad and use the paste on the smooth metal. Paste always performs better, especially the venerable Arctic Silver 2.
    Core i7 920 @ 4 GHz, 1.35v
    Corsair Nautilus 500 w/DD BIX radiator swap & Apogee GTX
    Asus P6T
    6GB Corsair Dominator
    XFX GeForce GTX 285
    WD Raptor 150GB / Hitachi 1TB
    Antec P182 / PCP&C Silencer 750
    Samsung 2232GW

    Sic vis pacem, para bellum.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    4
    The current HSF provide the Copper Base pad, will that be good enough for the XP 1600+, another thing is I am not going to overclock the processor. Does it really matter?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Posts
    2,371
    if your are not going to take the heatsink off then use the pad, if you are then take it of and use artic silver

  5. #5
    Oni-ni-Kanabō
    Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
    Oni's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    St. Catharines, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    13,547
    common rule:

    scrape the pad off, sacrifice it to the Overclocking Gods (even if you're not an overclocker. We need all the help we can get!) and apply the grease instead.
    Mama, put my guns in the ground. I can't shoot them anymore.

    On Indefinite Hiatus

    Asus P6T SE
    Intel i7 930 @ Stock
    12GB Corsair DDR3 9-9-9-24
    XFX Radeon 5830 @ Stock
    Corsair 750 Watt PSU


  6. #6
    Inactive Super Quad Mod donny_paycheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    4,446
    Originally posted by Oni
    common rule:

    scrape the pad off, sacrifice it to the Overclocking Gods (even if you're not an overclocker. We need all the help we can get!) and apply the grease instead.
    "Tru dat"
    Core i7 920 @ 4 GHz, 1.35v
    Corsair Nautilus 500 w/DD BIX radiator swap & Apogee GTX
    Asus P6T
    6GB Corsair Dominator
    XFX GeForce GTX 285
    WD Raptor 150GB / Hitachi 1TB
    Antec P182 / PCP&C Silencer 750
    Samsung 2232GW

    Sic vis pacem, para bellum.

  7. #7
    Member robertm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Chesapeake, OH
    Posts
    394
    Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu + that I bought did not come with a pad but with compound. I didn't have my Arctic Silver with me at work so I used the compound in the box. Its working very well its a XP 1600+ @ 1.533Ghz MBM reports 38 loaded 31 in case. Not bad at all I think. But I have 100CFM or more thought my case.

  8. #8
    Administratively Deficient Thelemac's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Canton, MI
    Posts
    4,806
    *Moved to "Cooling"*
    42 | Sig Assassin

    *click*

  9. #9
    Senior Band Wagon Jumper CrystalMethod's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    3,736
    Originally posted by Oni
    common rule:

    scrape the pad off, sacrifice it to the Overclocking Gods (even if you're not an overclocker. We need all the help we can get!) and apply the grease instead.
    Oh yeah! Take off that thermal pad, and replace with a good heatsink compound/grease. Arctic Silver II is the good, known, sworn by standard. You can remove the thermal pad by dissolving it with acetone (nail polish remover), or some other mineral spirit, such as lighter fluid, BBQ lighter fluid, camp stove fuel, etc... Apply the heatsink compound to the die of your CPU in a THIN, even layer. Put your Heatsink back on, and you should be good to go.

  10. #10
    Member Dissolved's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    OC California
    Posts
    3,686
    Originally posted by CrystalMethod

    Oh yeah! Take off that thermal pad, and replace with a good heatsink compound/grease. Arctic Silver II is the good, known, sworn by standard. You can remove the thermal pad by dissolving it with acetone (nail polish remover), or some other mineral spirit, such as lighter fluid, BBQ lighter fluid, camp stove fuel, etc... Apply the heatsink compound to the die of your CPU in a THIN, even layer. Put your Heatsink back on, and you should be good to go.
    yea i agree totaly

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Iowa, US
    Posts
    493
    The pad will work ok, but it will only work once. So if you plan on taking you heatsink off at all regularly, Arctic Silver is the way to go.

  12. #12
    Member Dissolved's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    OC California
    Posts
    3,686
    Originally posted by Intraveinous
    The pad will work ok, but it will only work once. So if you plan on taking you heatsink off at all regularly, Arctic Silver is the way to go.
    ac2 ;P

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •