• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HataTeru

Before I am going to install the Athlon XP 1600+ with the Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu HSF.
I would like to know is it necessary to apply thermal paste such as Artic Silver on the bottom of the thermal pad?

I am completely new to Athlon stuff please guide me to do the installation.

If you're using phase change material like a thermal pad then no, but if you have some paste available then I imagine most will agree that it's best to rid yourself of the pad and use the paste on the smooth metal. Paste always performs better, especially the venerable Arctic Silver 2.

The current HSF provide the Copper Base pad, will that be good enough for the XP 1600+, another thing is I am not going to overclock the processor. Does it really matter?

common rule:

scrape the pad off, sacrifice it to the Overclocking Gods (even if you're not an overclocker. We need all the help we can get!) and apply the grease instead.

Oni said:
common rule:

scrape the pad off, sacrifice it to the Overclocking Gods (even if you're not an overclocker. We need all the help we can get!) and apply the grease instead.

"Tru dat"

Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu + that I bought did not come with a pad but with compound. I didn't have my Arctic Silver with me at work so I used the compound in the box. Its working very well its a XP 1600+ @ 1.533Ghz MBM reports 38 loaded 31 in case. Not bad at all I think. But I have 100CFM or more thought my case.

Oni said:
common rule:

Oh yeah! Take off that thermal pad, and replace with a good heatsink compound/grease. Arctic Silver II is the good, known, sworn by standard. You can remove the thermal pad by dissolving it with acetone (nail polish remover), or some other mineral spirit, such as lighter fluid, BBQ lighter fluid, camp stove fuel, etc... Apply the heatsink compound to the die of your CPU in a THIN, even layer. Put your Heatsink back on, and you should be good to go.

CrystalMethod said:

Oh yeah! Take off that thermal pad, and replace with a good heatsink compound/grease. Arctic Silver II is the good, known, sworn by standard. You can remove the thermal pad by dissolving it with acetone (nail polish remover), or some other mineral spirit, such as lighter fluid, BBQ lighter fluid, camp stove fuel, etc... Apply the heatsink compound to the die of your CPU in a THIN, even layer. Put your Heatsink back on, and you should be good to go.

yea i agree totaly :)

The pad will work ok, but it will only work once. So if you plan on taking you heatsink off at all regularly, Arctic Silver is the way to go.

Back