• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do people hit 10K in 3DMark05 with a 7800GTX?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It isnt slow. You'd have to be superhuman to see the performance difference between a 7800GTX and a 7900GTX...
The human eye is the only benchmarking tool that matters to me, when it comes to GPUs :cool:
@Revivalist - The screenshot idea would work (I'd guess) : but can u take a screenshot while ur benching in 3dmark?? Then it would be like taking a screenie playing a game - would save it in the same resolution u are seeing it in - someone correct me if im wrong.. :beer:

DareDevil_747 said:
It isnt slow. You'd have to be superhuman to see the performance difference between a 7800GTX and a 7900GTX...

Would the benchmark be considered "superhuman"? Because with that you can see the difference..

So, then you're saying that they are the same?

I'm confused..

Ok, I put everything back to stock (stock voltage, stock speeds, stock BIOS). The only thing I can't use is the stock heatsink-fan but when I turn off the TEC, the temp is 40C/60C for idle/load which is about the same as air. . . . I still scored 7350 in 3DMark05. . . . Looking at reviews, a normal stock score is 7600-7700. . . .

So now I'm thinking that perhaps something isn't right with the rest of my system, like the RAM or CPU. I just finished a run in SuperPi with 2.60GHz on the CPU and I got 27min, 58sec in SuperPi. (I couldn't run at 3.2GHz because the TECs are off.)

I also ran Everest and got the following:

Read: 5966MB/s
Write: 2284MB/s
Latency: 49.7ns

Can anyone confirm if these scores seem reasonable? . . . Thanks.

Boom! . . . ~~ Broke 10K! ~~

You guys are gonna laugh when I tell you what was the problem. . . . This BIOS has two options for the four PCI slots:

1.) 16-0-4-2
2.) 8-2-2-8

The first is for single cards. The second is for SLI. I originally setup my cards in SLI and set the BIOS to the second option. But when it turned out that my top card wasn't working, I figured I'd set my BIOS back to the first option for a single card. But I didn't realize that the first option actually sets the bottom PCI slot to 2x. Only the top slot is 16x. . . So this whole time I was bottlnecking the card at the bus! :bang head

Anyway, at least I got it now. :D . . . This card is rockin'! :attn:

yo i have done it my self hehe

at least you dont have to try for 10k with 77.72

which was the drive of choice last year

Revivalist said:
Woot! . . . Just hit 10,510! :)

Is that a good score?

I thought the 7900GTX and the 7800GTX were pretty close. But from the look of your system and mine, the 7900GTX kick's butt with a CPU 700Mhz slower.

Imagine if you had a 7900GTX?? Holy moly! @ 3.2Ghz, you will be smokin...

Actually, the 7800GT and 7900GT (not 7900GTX) are only close at stock speeds. But the 7900GT has been shown to have a much greater overclocking potential. . . .

The 7900GTX would definitely destroy the 7800GTX. In fact, the 7900GTX has double the video memory than the 7800GTX (512MB versus 256MB). . .

Yeah, I would love to be able to play with a 7900GTX, maybe two in SLI . . . But that's a bit above the budget, and I wouldn't want to have to start all over with v-modding, TEC-cooling, etc. . .

I think I'll hold out at least until DX10 . . . .

Back