• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap dual opteron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

ive been browsing ebay lately and ive gotten it in my head that i want a dual processor box for my windows server. ( i allready have a dually linux server)

i was looking at more dual socket A boards when someone mentioned opterons to me.
for a little bit of fun i decided to look some up. Last i checked they had been really expensive, but i priced out a basic dual opteron with 4x256 ECC for about $350, not including a psu. is this just way out of the ordinary or is that actually doable?

Also, are there any dual opterons that can use regular (non-ecc) ddr? i have a few sticks and that would save me about $50-$100 off the top...

im just taken by surprise at the prices i found. im not looking for a super overclock, but i wouldnd mind a mild one. the servers primary goal would be folding. other goals include a small ( <10 client) domain, a experimental based iis server, and the head of a f@h network boot cluster.

I'm pretty sure that all socket 940 cpu's require ECC ram. I didn't know that prices had come down that far. What CPU's were you looking at?

I had 2 240s (just upgraded to 2X246s) that I got cheap ($120 total, but $90 is better) and a MSI K8t Master2 Far board off ebay for $130 and then some pc2700(2X512) ECC REG Ram for $50. I just ordered 2X512 Kingston Value ram PC3200 from the egg for like $80. So yes you can do it. All the Opter socket 940s require the Reg ECC ram. Good luck! Let us know how it is.

does it have to be an actual dual processor box? i went from a dually athlon mp box to the x2 dual core i have now and I am very pleased...just an idea :D

heh, i like the dual cores but a dually looks more impressive IMO.

Also the X2's are expensive. im hoping to catch a dually from someone who likes to keep on the bleeding edge... my funds spreat out too much so im a trailing edge kinda guy.

I think by the time you end up finding a board, ECC ram, and 2 opto's you'd be better off with an X2/opto 165 and socket 939 board...also make upgrading cheaper and easier too. (as well as selling old components).

If you have the cash and want some serious power, you can get 2 265's for 310 each....now that would be a slammin system.

I would still like to know wich 940 board is the best canidate for OCing..
2 dual core opty 940's will stay a pretty mean performace system for some time IMHO.
And Im pretty sure the master far doesn't need ECC ram (from what I've read) its not the processors that force you to use ECC its the MOBO- as far as I can recall.

The memory controller onboard socket 940 Opterons requires Registered DDR. Since most all Registered DDR is also ECC, you're almost certain to have to buy Registered/ECC DDR.

The Asus K8N-DL overclocks well using ClockGen. Through the BIOS it quite limited though.

Thanks for the info on the ram dave. (not like it wasnt said before but oh well)

How's the HTT maxiumum average on the K8N-DL?
It does apear you have a decent clock on your 242's.

I would still like to know wich 940 board is the best canidate for OCing..

I have the top 5 dual Opteron boards. Tyan, MSI (through EWiz), Asus, IWIll and Gigabyte all sent me their offerings to test. The only one that I am missing is from Supermicro and most people cannot get one yet and there are only a hand full of "finished" boards out there.

So far the Asus OCs the best and most of the boards cannot be set higher than 216 HTT in the BIOS. You have to use a program like nTune to go any higher.

The MSI I tested and am right now installing Windows on for my own personal use as a server, comes with heatsinks and 70mm fans. These things are loud, far to loud for me so this sucker is getting ready to be a garage server. Anyhow, the MSI and Asus are the two for day to day / non-server stuff. The Asus supports NUMA but has only one PCI E slot while the MSI supports SLI but takes a back seat on NUMA.

You also need to remember that these boards and memory can get pretty expensive and I think a dual core might be a better option. Then again, when the time comes you could turn these two boards into quad systems:)

Back