• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice, 6800GT => 7900GT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nakatalee

Hey guys, is worth it to swap mobo to PCI-E just to upgrade to 7900GT from 6800GT AGP?

I am still considering if the $500 drop is worth the fps gained, especially in Oblivion. Cause currently my card is struggling at 1680x1050.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

I dont think its worth an additional 500$ - but then again, which mobo are you going to? All in all, you spend 500 on that, and something new will come out....like AM2, forcing you to get a new mobo, cpu, memory, etc. 6800GT is still great for today's games and not worth it in my opinion.

and to be honest, even if you went the cheaper route of a DFI ultra-d and 6800gs for about 350$ youd still get better performance than a 6800gt agp

Thw 7900GT is waaay faster than your 6800GT but $500 is a lot of coin. If you have the money just burning a hole in your pocket go for it but otherwise I'd just waite for some price drops. You should actually be able to get the combo you speak of for about $400.

Mdogs444 said:
I dont think its worth an additional 500$ - but then again, which mobo are you going to? All in all, you spend 500 on that, and something new will come out....like AM2, forcing you to get a new mobo, cpu, memory, etc. 6800GT is still great for today's games and not worth it in my opinion.

and to be honest, even if you went the cheaper route of a DFI ultra-d and 6800gs for about 350$ youd still get better performance than a 6800gt agp

You are right, for next upgrade to AM2, the mobo and RAM and cpu have to go so I am considering A8N-SLI instead of A8N-32XSLI to save about a hundred.

I am not sure 6800GS willl give me the same performance as 7900GT as I played my game at 1680x1050.

I am just wandering how oblivion is going to performed with 7900GT at that resolution. Anybody has any idea?

dang, now i am torn between 7900GT 256 and x1800xt 512 cause of the little price difference.

If you already have 2gigs of memory won't see any difference between the 512 card and the 256 one. A GS is not even in the same league as a 7900, not even the 7800GS. A midly overclocked 7900GT is as fast as a 7800GTX 512mb card, by mild I mean 100mhz on the core and 300 on the memory. As most of these cards can do that without changing the stock cooler or giving extra voltage.

mysterfix said:
If you already have 2gigs of memory won't see any difference between the 512 card and the 256 one. A GS is not even in the same league as a 7900, not even the 7800GS. A midly overclocked 7900GT is as fast as a 7800GTX 512mb card, by mild I mean 100mhz on the core and 300 on the memory. As most of these cards can do that without changing the stock cooler or giving extra voltage.
I don't about that... Even a stock 7900GT is very comparable to 7800GTX. I ordered an XTX oc'd version, 520 clock and 800 or so on the memory. I'll let you know how it compares to a 9700 pro (ugh...). Should ship sometime next week according to Dell.

Fronic said:
I don't about that... Even a stock 7900GT is very comparable to 7800GTX. I ordered an XTX oc'd version, 520 clock and 800 or so on the memory. I'll let you know how it compares to a 9700 pro (ugh...). Should ship sometime next week according to Dell.
The 512mb version is much faster than the regular 7800GTX.

Here's my thoughts on it.

If you game at high resolution due to your LCD native resolution, then get the 7900GT. If you only game at low resolutions like 1024x768 or 1280x1024, then the 6800GT will be good for at least another year untill more powerful cards come out and double/triple the performance of the high end. :cool:

Well, my motherboard is dead, and I need to replace it. My thing is, if im going to put money into my computer, it better end up better. Currently im using an agp 6800gt, it works just fine for my needs, never really dissapointed me, even in F.E.A.R, I was fine playing at a lower res with lower settings, because it still looked good. However, if I go to pci express, Why pay for a 6800gt, when the 7900gt is so much faster. I plan on doing it, and due to the fact that I have to buy a motherboard and video card, the added price of the difference between the two cards makes the 7900gt justified.
You however just want to put 500 down so one game looks better, I wouldnt do that, I dont think its worth it.

I guess you have to look at it in two ways. The first being the large graphics performance gain you'll receive. The second being the PCI-Express capability you'll gain. To be honest though, why exactly would it run $500? A 7900GT (if you can find one) is about $300, and a decent PCI-Express motherboard should only run $70-100, unless you go all-out, in which case you really can't complain about price.

Also, your 6800GT should sell for a decent amount, especially considering that it's a GT and not a GS.

yeah, i decided to get A8N-SLI instead of the A8N-32SLI, and a 7900GT CO. Thanks everyone for advice.

Back