• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deciding on a new monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twoeyes

I'm trying to decide on a nice big new monitor to get for my PC... Currently I'm looking at a GDM-FW900 CRT that would be nice, of course the Dell 2005FPW, and the Gateway FPD2185W.

I'm giving up gaming for a while because it takes up way to much of my time and I dont have that time to give it... I'll be selling my monitor and video card as well. My budget is around $400-$450.

What would you consider to be a good deal on the monitor? At the moment I can grab one for like $420 shipped

Well, the 2x Dells that I have, the first one I got for $430 ~ 1yr ago, and the second one for $355 ~ 5mo ago. That $355 is the lowest I have seen. It was actually like $324 + tax. If you can get one under $400, that would be a good deal.

keep your eyes on that 24"er. I have it and am amazed with how awesome it is. I sometiems just put on high res wallpapers and awe over them.

Herr Rogers said:
keep your eyes on that 24"er. I have it and am amazed with how awesome it is. I sometiems just put on high res wallpapers and awe over them.

I'm going to be doing a lot of graphical design, so I'm thinking this might be the best choice...

The 24 is awesome...and I have one and am not knocking it, but if I had the choice between a 24" widescreen and say a 20" widescreen and 17" regular for dual monitors, I'd take the dual monitors in a heartbeet.

This decision is really killing me, I'm thinking of just going to pick up one of those CRTs, if it doesnt work out I'll just sell it off and buy one of the dell/gateway monitors. The problem now is finding one for around $400 thats in good condition!

Last edited:
BTW i'm now considering the 2405FPW vs this CRT, i figure if i'm making a jump from a 19" screen, i want it to be a bigger difference then 1 inch.

I have a 2005fpw, at work we use 2405fpw's. I'd go with the 2405fpw. I went thru 4 2005fpw's b/c of dead/stuck pixels or some sort of screen defect. All the 2405fpw's at work have no dead/stuck pixels and are perfect, cant even say they have backlight bleeding like the 2005fpw's. I am a tech at my job and I installed those 2405fpw's so I got to take a look at all of them. So anyway thats my take on it.

I bought the CRT for now considering it was only $350 shipped, if i'm not happy with it it will be easier going from this to the 2405FPW in a few months though.

Thanks all

I notice a lot of people recommend the 2005fpw and I might get one myself.

What about the backlight issue I hear about. I game a little, CSS and WoW.

Can someone who has the monitor elaborate on the backlighting? Is it good, so so, or bad?

I had a 2005 and didn't see any backlighting when I had it (I had one over a year ago when it was a MAJOR issue....guess I got lucky). I haven't heard much about the backlighting probs recently

Back