Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: SATA?

  1. #1
    Overclockers Team Content Editor
    Shelnutt2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    /home/
    Folding Profile

    SATA?

    Hey guys,

    I'm going to be building a new PC with the release of Conroe. On *most* new Intel mobo can I still use my old ATA IDE harddrives or do I need to sell everything and get SATA (II) drives? I know SATA drives with perform so much better, but is it possible to sue 2 ide hdds and 1 DVDRW drive or are mobos coming with only 1 ide connector now?

    Thanks
    Build!.Borg!.Recruit!.Folding.for.Team.32!
    Gigabyte P35-DS3R, E6300, 2x512MB Team Group DDR2 667, EVGA 7800GT Heat

    Want to run the folding@home gpu client in linux?
    www.linuxfah.info

    Your teacher is a dumbass. The equation is exact. ~Frodo Baggins
    Damn....It's 12:00 AM and I thought my 805 would be a magic pumkin and turn into a conroe.........boy was I fooled:) ~Stilletto
    This is what I get for not only being a newb, but also disregarding instructions! ~ShadowPho
    I hate women... but im not gay lol. ~MrCrowley
    Love can fade but knowledge stays forever (unless you develop alzheimers). ~Constantinos

  2. #2
    Member Captain Helghas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelnutt2
    Hey guys,

    I'm going to be building a new PC with the release of Conroe. On *most* new Intel mobo can I still use my old ATA IDE harddrives or do I need to sell everything and get SATA (II) drives? I know SATA drives with perform so much better, but is it possible to sue 2 ide hdds and 1 DVDRW drive or are mobos coming with only 1 ide connector now?

    Thanks
    Yes you can, just have to get an IDE controller PCI card, then run the HDDs off that.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Another option besides a PCI IDE controller cards are sata to ide converters boards. You plug the converter into the IDE HD and then a sata cable from MB to converter. Most first generation sata HDs were IDE HDs with sata converter chips.

    Just a warning tho that the converter boards might not work with some MBs/sata controllers.

  4. #4
    Overclockers Team Content Editor
    Shelnutt2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    /home/
    Folding Profile
    Just curious now, what is a recommend SATA II drive? I would like to compare its price to that of a add-in ide card. Specifically, if I sell both my HDs now how much more would it be for a decent hdd? I'm looking at new egg, and there are a lot of choices. I'm looking for at least 160 gig storage. What drives do you recommend?
    Build!.Borg!.Recruit!.Folding.for.Team.32!
    Gigabyte P35-DS3R, E6300, 2x512MB Team Group DDR2 667, EVGA 7800GT Heat

    Want to run the folding@home gpu client in linux?
    www.linuxfah.info

    Your teacher is a dumbass. The equation is exact. ~Frodo Baggins
    Damn....It's 12:00 AM and I thought my 805 would be a magic pumkin and turn into a conroe.........boy was I fooled:) ~Stilletto
    This is what I get for not only being a newb, but also disregarding instructions! ~ShadowPho
    I hate women... but im not gay lol. ~MrCrowley
    Love can fade but knowledge stays forever (unless you develop alzheimers). ~Constantinos

  5. #5
    Member boris_37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    i say go anything. People will come on here with their personal preferences, but really it's just which drive is the best deal. 250-300gb is your best gb:$ range(300gb being on sale).

    So just pick and choose, unless you are choosing something that is obviously poor quality, it really will not matter.
    Core 2 E6400 @2.13ghz stock TTBT Heatsink <>Forton Blue Storm 500w <> Asus P5B deluxe
    GSkill 2x1GB DDR2-800 CL4-4-4-12
    GeForce 9800gtx 512mb 256-bit
    Seagate 250GB SATA150 Seagate 300GB SATA300 AND 74gb raptor OS Drive

    Heat

  6. #6
    Member Mattman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WI, USA
    I'm curious as to how you think that SATA 2 drives perform "so much better". Right now the limitation is more physical (spindle speed, head cycling) than a function of the IDE/SATA bus. I prefer SATA more because of the ease of cable routing and the fact that there tend to be more RAID options available on today's mobos than with IDE.

    If you happen to have IDE drives that you are happy with, I certainly wouldn't dump them based on the bus alone - unless you the mobo you REALLY, REALLY want only has 1 IDE channel (in that case try finding another mobo).

  7. #7
    Overclockers Team Content Editor
    Shelnutt2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    /home/
    Folding Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    I'm curious as to how you think that SATA 2 drives perform "so much better". Right now the limitation is more physical (spindle speed, head cycling) than a function of the IDE/SATA bus. I prefer SATA more because of the ease of cable routing and the fact that there tend to be more RAID options available on today's mobos than with IDE.

    If you happen to have IDE drives that you are happy with, I certainly wouldn't dump them based on the bus alone - unless you the mobo you REALLY, REALLY want only has 1 IDE channel (in that case try finding another mobo).
    I wasn't sure I thought all SATA drives performance were better. I mean noticeable better. Maybe I'm wrong. I've never used anything but IDE, so I thought I'd ask.
    Build!.Borg!.Recruit!.Folding.for.Team.32!
    Gigabyte P35-DS3R, E6300, 2x512MB Team Group DDR2 667, EVGA 7800GT Heat

    Want to run the folding@home gpu client in linux?
    www.linuxfah.info

    Your teacher is a dumbass. The equation is exact. ~Frodo Baggins
    Damn....It's 12:00 AM and I thought my 805 would be a magic pumkin and turn into a conroe.........boy was I fooled:) ~Stilletto
    This is what I get for not only being a newb, but also disregarding instructions! ~ShadowPho
    I hate women... but im not gay lol. ~MrCrowley
    Love can fade but knowledge stays forever (unless you develop alzheimers). ~Constantinos

  8. #8
    Member Mattman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    WI, USA
    There's more available bandwidth with SATA, but today the IDE channels aren't saturated yet. SATAII has features which are supposed to be better for servers/multiuser environments but most don't have a noticeable benefit to a home user.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelnutt2
    I wasn't sure I thought all SATA drives performance were better. I mean noticeable better. Maybe I'm wrong. I've never used anything but IDE, so I thought I'd ask.
    If you have a ATA 133 there is no difference
    You can achieve better burst speed with SATA
    compared to ATA 100
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wingman99; 04-11-06 at 07:29 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •