• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Humming noise WAT IS IT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twoeyes

So whats this humming noise I've always had coming from my intel rigs? My 478 P4 hums in a high pitched squeel and my P3 before it did the same thing... My AMD rig doesnt make any noise when i stop the fans, and my new Pentium M lappy doenst eaither. I think its the motherboard IMO but ive never really taken a close look and i'm pretty sure you guys would know :clap: Just something i've been wanting ot know for a while

I use to have a similar problem. I'd guess it might be a fan. Possible it is the vibrations of a fan reacting with your metal case and causing you to be able to actually hear the noise. I know when I set something on top of my case to absorb the vibrations my noise went away. I guess its also possible that it is the hard drive...you are not running a SCSI setup are you?

the thing is, its there even if i stop all fans with my hand for a second, its like the caps or something weird

twoeyes said:
the thing is, its there even if i stop all fans with my hand for a second, its like the caps or something weird

Now that you mintion that...I think I remember reading somewhere that when caps are ready to go they wine...ah someone that's knows something will come along here sometime.

The thing I'm confused about is that its sounded like that since I purchased the PCs and this has happened in even older pentium systems just a slight wherring noise its hard to explain :-\

EDIT now that i look at the P4 again it looks like its just the HD and PSU, but in my P3 system it definitely sounds even without a fan. So i guess its just a bad cap or something

Do you see those things that look like ceramic rings with copper windings around them?
Those can humm and nothing would be "wrong" with that, just vibrations from the ring from the current moving though. Somewhat rare but Ive read about it serveral times.
Careface had or has an AMD rig that did/does this.

I had a simular problem a while back and one of my fans went, had it replaced instantly. Its annoying though when it starts.

I'm surprised nobody yet mentioned the possibility of one of the mobo or PSU coils vibrating under load.

I get it occasionally on two of my Prescotts (different machines), only when very heavily loaded while running Distributed Computing.

One seems to be the P4P800 mobo.

The other seems to be coming from my OCZ520 PowerStream PSU.

Seems is a very ambiguous word, but the sounds are very illusive, & I haven't really bothered to really dig down to exactly pinpoint them.

Strat

Back