• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Team Race

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stryfe

Okay, lets get this race underway. I set the race to start April 10th at 00:20 UTC (today at 7:20pm Central).

Two teams to 1,000,000 credit this time.

Team A
Eaglescouter
Tyrinon
Stryfe and crazyastro
Morpheus...
Hammer
RyanJ
Mils
BulldogMcC

Team B
Dave H
Charlie
Mictlan and Dk Jedi Alliance
sir_LOIN
JHeizer
hitokiri_808
Careface
ilikepie

As usual the teams are encouraged to pick names for themselves. Just let me know what's picked.

The race page is here : http://ghanima.hopto.org/ocseti/race.html
(The percentages on the page are how much your week average and RAC have changed since the race started)

I also have my team page back up and running if anyone's interested: http://ghanima.hopto.org/ocseti/team.html

Last edited:
Thanks guys :)

If you have any suggestions for changes/additions to the race page let me know. I'll ask again once this race is over and people have had a chance to use it through a whole race.

hey, if it counts the cs and shows who won, im happy with it :D. having said that, is it possible to somehow make the script use the timezone that the pc thats viewing it is in? like, it says "Last page update: 6:20:19, Apr. 10/06 UTC" utc is American time, no? Im not terribly great with timezones lol :) But thanks again for all the work youve put into this, muchly appreciated.

Careface*

Ok crazy idea - maybe not for this race but maybe for future races...

For late comers (cough) - how about a extra team called 'wildcards' - for latecomers, or people with massive RACs who are hard to balance out - they crunch independently until the end of the race at which their RAC is split proportionatly between the other teams based on how far ahead (or behind) they are.

Example, at the end of the race
Team A: has 60,000
Team B: has 40,000
Wildcards: has 10,000

Team A has 60% of the total race credit excluding wildcards, so they get 40% of the wildcards credit (4,000). Team B has 40% of the total race credit excluding wildcards, so they get 60% (6,000).

This might be helpful for people like Slimm and I, who's combined rac is about that of any of the existing teams (around 16k), and either of us could probably increase our RAC by 10k for a few weeks (which would totally screw up the team balance if we were on a specific team).

Boy that looks complicated having typed it out, but since I do have it all typed out, I'll go ahead and submit :)

Just an idea for later,
Enk

Careface, UTC is Universal Time Co-ordinated, the international time standard, also known as Greenwich Meridian Time (GMT). As of right now the page isn't generated when a user visits, it's just generated by a script that runs once an hour so that would require some pretty big changes. I'd probably need to use a faster machine as my websever (it's currently a 800mhz Celeron). I happen to have a HP 2.4ghz Xeon server with a 10,000rpm SCSI RAID 5 array in it just sitting here. Unfortunately I'm in an old building and don't have the power to spare on the circut. I'm going to try and figure a way to run it for the race though, so maybe.

eaglescouter, I may be able to add that eventually, it would require a lot of changes for the same reason I gave Careface.

Enkidu, I was thinking exactly that last night. Once I saw that there was once again people wanting to join after the race started I was sitting trying to figure out a way to deal with this always happening. One of the options I thought of is exactly what you just suggested. It definitely would be nice to have a way to include latecomers. For now it might be easiest to just put you and Alexhk on your own team and see if you can recruit a few people to help you out.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm going to record them all, so keep them coming.

Stryfe said:
For now it might be easiest to just put you and Alexhk on your own team and see if you can recruit a few people to help you out.

I won't speak for Alex but I'm fine being dumped on my own team, If you could go ahead and set the name to "Wildcards" that would be great (we won't worry about splitting credit for this race - but for future races we could even include in yoru stats script a live count of the where wildcard credit is going (just some math and a few rows of data).

Thank you Stryfe, as always your hard work is appreciated for this team! :)
Enk

Enkidu said:
I won't speak for Alex but I'm fine being dumped on my own team, If you could go ahead and set the name to "Wildcards" that would be great (we won't worry about splitting credit for this race - but for future races we could even include in yoru stats script a live count of the where wildcard credit is going (just some math and a few rows of data).
Alexhk already suggested it in the Signup thread so I'll just go ahead and do it. Team Wildcards with the two of you will show up in the next update.
Enkidu said:
we won't worry about splitting credit for this race - but for future races we could even include in your stats script a live count of the where wildcard credit is going (just some math and a few rows of data)
haha, once again, that's exactly what I was thinking. I should be able to set something up for the next race.

And you're welcome. :) I enjoy having a little programming project to work on when I have spare time (well, when I take a break from Civ4 and Oblivion that is).

Stryfe said:
Careface, UTC is Universal Time Co-ordinated, the international time standard, also known as Greenwich Meridian Time (GMT). As of right now the page isn't generated when a user visits, it's just generated by a script that runs once an hour so that would require some pretty big changes. I'd probably need to use a faster machine as my websever (it's currently a 800mhz Celeron). I happen to have a HP 2.4ghz Xeon server with a 10,000rpm SCSI RAID 5 array in it just sitting here. Unfortunately I'm in an old building and don't have the power to spare on the circut. I'm going to try and figure a way to run it for the race though, so maybe.

Ahh, thanks for the info :) It's not that I'm too lazy to work it out (now that youve told me its GMT, I know I'm +12 of the time you give :p) It's just that recently, since It's the uni's mid term break, I tend to stay up till around 6-7am and crawl into bed at sun rise and sort of.. fall out of bed at around 4pm lol. So I'm like, in my own wee timezone here :p

Sleep pattern? whats that? :shrug:

Careface*

Just to let you guys know there is a little bug in my script. It's shown up right now, about half the people on the race page are showing 0 for their stats. Don't worry, it will correct itself. This usually happens on Wednesdays when Berkeley is doing their database backup.

The reason it happens is the first two of the teams stats pages are still acessible so my script starts to update from the pages but can only get the first 40 users. So anyone who's not in the top 40 RAC wise doesn't show up in the update. I'm working on a fix to prevent this from happening but it's hard to test since it usually only happens Wednesday afternoon and I'm at work.

My script stopped updating the stats a few hours ago. For some reason it can't access the pages with the team stats. I can get to them from any of my computers. I've tried copying the URL directly out of my script and it works fine in a browser but when the script tries to access that URL it can't find the page.

I'm trying to fix it but I'm pretty stumped as to why this is happening. Anyone have any ideas?

**EDIT: It seems the moment I posted about it the moment it started working again. I'm thinking that with the outage earlier today berkeley's webserver is running kinda slow right now. It could be the script stopped trying to access the page after a few seconds and failed while a browser will try for much longer (Opera was showing about 10 seconds before the page started to load)

Back