• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing linux again

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twoeyes

Well I've all but quit gaming, got myself a nice big 24" monitor and downloaded FC5 for a little test run. There are a couple things I'm going to miss/need though, I was well on my way to learning how to solidly program for Win32 using C++, but now I guess I'll have to give that up in favor of gnome or KDE :) Anybody have a preferred C++ GUI editor that they like (dont say VI :bang head )? its been a while since I've actually used linux consistantly.

Thanks all

Anjuta is a pretty good C/C++ editor for UNIX/Linux. It has come pretty far, and there is much documentation for it.

VI, VIM, nano, and dare I say ed, are all nice command line editors for programming. gvim and kate are nice graphical editors. kdevelope is great if you're planning on doing KDE apps with QT not really sure what's available for gnome/gtk though.

i would definately suggest eclipse with the c++ plugin. that way if you ever decide to do other stuff like java, you dont have to go far. Other than that, I've heard good things about KDevelope. I really would suggest buckling down and getting atleast somewhat familiar with vim. I find it invaluable if I ssh into a box and need to quickly patch some code or something.

Thanks for the suggestions all... FC5 aint working out so hot so I'm going to have to try some of these new distros *rubs hands together in anticipation*

The KDE and Trolltech Qt libs offer tons of stuff that make GUI programming in C++ for KDE very easy. I'd deffinatly recommend cheking out KDevelop and QtDesigner. Also on the CLI side I'd deffinatly recommend learning something like Vim/Emacs, you will eventually find yourself much more productive using one of the more powerful editors than something simple like ed or nano although they are a bit harder to learn.

Back