• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

**WARNING** Oblivion Patch Just Killed My X1800XL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Im outraged.... I installed the patch and now *all* of my games artifract at stock and previous settings. Un-****ing-real.

DO NOT install it

I highly doubt a single driver can kill a video card. Especially an official one (albeit beta). I agree with the above post about reinstalling windows.

NODES said:
reinstall windows and see if that hepls any, i ran the patch fine
No dice, still dead gonna try on a different box and see what gives. I want people to note that the very second after I rebooted after applying this hotfix caused massive artifracting.

i just put it back on the stock cooler from water and tried running anything in 3d mode and it hardlocks and shows no display. As sad as this sounds it appears she's toast.

No damage to the core, no water spilled on it, no damage whatsoever the damn hotfix killed it.

Sentential said:
No dice, still dead gonna try on a different box and see what gives. I want people to note that the very second after I rebooted after applying this hotfix caused massive artifracting.

i just put it back on the stock cooler from water and tried running anything in 3d mode and it hardlocks and shows no display. As sad as this sounds it appears she's toast.

No damage to the core, no water spilled on it, no damage whatsoever the damn hotfix killed it.
Sounds very unlikely that a patch killed it, could be entirely coincidental.

how could a patch kill a gpu? unless it told the card to max out the ram and core speeds, but then it would throttle it as to not cause damage. seems strange to me.

Installing ATi cat' beta drivers killed my x800PRO - so i think it could be possible with a certain configurtion of devices in a computer.

formated windows
installedchipset drivers - rebooted
installed vide card drivers - reboot
no video on screen
reboot try safe mode

nadda!

RangerXLT8 said:
Why send it back man you probably voided the warranty in a few different ways?

Because the drivers killed the video card, not overclocking the core to 650Mhz+. Heh, sorry for being sarcastic.

If the card is even dead, it's probably from something else like a voltage spike while restarting the computer. I really don't see any way drivers could kill a video card, there must be some mix up. Don't abuse warranties that you void. :rolleyes:

Back