• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is there still a Pagefile if is it disabled?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revivalist

The main reason I moved to 2GB of RAM was so that the system wouldn't use the pagefile anymore when running BF2. . . . But I found that even though I disable the Pagefile, it still uses 1GB of it. . . . Anyone know why? . . . Here's some pics before the running the game and while the game is running. (Pagefile is disabled the whole time.)

beforegamerunning4lg.jpg

whilegamerunning1pm.jpg

Well, I thought I would be clever and use a program I found called RAM Disk to turn 1GB of RAM into a "virtual drive" called H:/. . . . Then I set the page file to only H:/ . . . I thought that would "trick" the system to use only RAM for the paging file. . . . But it didn't seem to work. Here's the results before loading the game, and while the game is loaded. . . . You can see that an extra 1GB was still added to the 1GB of RAM already allocated. . . .

beforegamewithramdisk9pi.jpg

duringgamewithramdisk6kp.jpg

Last edited:
ok... im going to get to the real core of the problem... YOU NEED A PAGE FILE!! While some people think (yes this did include me at one time) that removing your pagefile will speed up your computer it actualy slows it down. Just because you have enough memory that does not mean you dont need to page things. Because of the way programs run the will genneraly run in the same memory space for a period of time and then branch to another memory space. If you had to load the whole program into memory not just the sections most likly to be used then your computer would only beable to run one program at a time (you would also have to toss the OS and leave just the kernal to ensure correct opperation) The Pagefile holds backups and memory locations for programs that have been swaped out of main memory for exicuting your primary program, these will at some time need to be swaped back in (you know little things like your network driver so you can play BF2 online) It also holds memory locations for the rest of the program your running. For example Eve-Online will generaly have a memory footprint of 200MB in main memory and between 500-900MB of paged memory. I dont want all of that 900 loaded in because then i would not have enough room for all my other processes and applications that are required to run windows.

So... if its still there its because its required and MS in its infinite wisdom has let you uncheck the box and seeing a need (ie some program needed to be paged) ignored your request because it would drasticly reduce performance.

// rant over :)

Thank you for your detailed explanation! I think I understand things a bit better now . . .
infinitevalence said:
So... if its still there its because its required and MS in its infinite wisdom has let you uncheck the box and seeing a need (ie some program needed to be paged) ignored your request because it would drasticly reduce performance.
So wouldn't that mean it's still better to leave the pagefile off because Windows will still use it when it needs it anyways?

When you set the pagefile on the Ram disk did you remove dynamic sizing and set it's maximum to the size of the Ram disk?

Also note, Windows uses different terminoligy. Page File, as it is referred to in the Performance graph, is just the combined Ram/Swapfile usage. Since you have PF turned off, it is showing your actual Ram usage. If you look at your first screenshots, the bottom left corner tells the truth. Under Commit Charge - Limit, thats the actual combined Ram/Swapfile you have. In your case it is 1,938,892 Bytes, which equates to your 2GB of Ram. Since you have your PF turned off, it is 2GB. If you were to turn on PF, it would make that number larger.

Out of all the forums I have looked on the consensus is that windows needs its pagefile to work properly. I know ram is 9,000 times faster or whatever the actual figure is but windows needs its page file. I have 4 harddrives and what I did is took my two 120gb WD and made 1.5gb partitions. I made those partitions have ONLY pagefiles on them. First off it makes better performance (though it isnt noticable for me) because it is on two different independent drives so more seek heads and bandwidth to run the system. And secondly since they are the only things on their partition, I never need to defrag my pagefile. It is 100% pagefile space 100% of the time.

Back