• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here It Is For All To See, My Unlocked X1800GTO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not sure what software is responsible for the fan control. I doubt Overclocker would change your RAM timings if your not adjusting your clock speeds but you might know otherwise :shrug:

Gnerma said:
I'm not sure what software is responsible for the fan control. I doubt Overclocker would change your RAM timings if your not adjusting your clock speeds but you might know otherwise :shrug:

what I meant was you spoke of the fan control, what proggies did you have installed to do this, was it just the 6.4 drivers, or you using atitool to spin up the fan with dynamic fan control...

as for the overclocker proggy as soon as you open it it will loosen the mem timings until you reboot even if not overclocking... it was prooven by many when we went nutz with the 1900's when they came out....

I didn't know that about Overclocker, how unfortunate. I just had 6.4 & CCC installed. I hadn't done the BIOS flash at that time so had no fan control.

Gnerma said:
I didn't know that about Overclocker, how unfortunate. I just had 6.4 & CCC installed. I hadn't done the BIOS flash at that time so had no fan control.

cool man thanks for the info this takes the troubleshooting and TIME out of getting this card up just running stock...

much appreciated guys...

my bro is gonna go nutz going from a 6800 base card to this GTO

Rattle said:
cool man thanks for the info this takes the troubleshooting and TIME out of getting this card up just running stock...

much appreciated guys...

my bro is gonna go nutz going from a 6800 base card to this GTO
have the card been unlocked?

homer77 said:
have the card been unlocked?

the card was ordered from newegg.. the HIS gto, my bro should be getting it by friday.

hopefully it will be unlockable, he says he doesnt want to OC it or try to unlock it off the bat but that will change within a week :p

I figure I will wait till full Atitool support becuase it will be a hassle messsing with the modded bios and all that jazz for him...

This is totally stable. 1.275V GPU. Does anybody else smell something burning?

7026301po.png

I finally installed my water block. I have to say I'm very surprised the memory went that far since I don't use any ramsink. Before watercooling, the mem would stop at 630 with 2.1V, now it's at 702 with 2.05V! I guess taking heat away from the core helps memory a lot. btw I checked the mem chips and it's supposed to be 1.2 ns ram, rated for 800mhz at cas 11 ( I looked at a samsung data sheet). Is it possible to see the timings for the memory? I'm curious to see what they are.

The core sits at 711 (yeah, with 16 pipes!!) with 1.325V, and I think it could still go farther. On full load, core temperature raises to 49oC. Should I try more volts? I'm looking for the settings I can run everyday, any advice on that would be appreciated.

Attachments

• max.JPG
    max.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,102
Last edited:
Tonyjack said:
I finally installed my water block. I have to say I'm very surprised the memory went that far since I don't use any ramsink. Before watercooling, the mem would stop at 630 with 2.1V, now it's at 702 with 2.05V! I guess taking heat away from the core helps memory a lot. btw I checked the mem chips and it's supposed to be 1.2 ns ram, rated for 800mhz at cas 11 ( I looked at a samsung data sheet). Is it possible to see the timings for the memory? I'm curious to see what they are.

The core sits at 711 (yeah, with 16 pipes!!) with 1.325V, and I think it could still go farther. On full load, core temperature raises to 49oC. Should I try molt volts? I'm looking for the settings I can run everyday, any advice on that would be appreciated.

Nice clocks! I wish i could give my core that kind of voltage and not lockup, I however did get my memory to over clock very nicely, here is my best score i probably can't get too much higher unless i cheat with ati tray tools or something, however the memory probably could go a bit higher if i really wanted to give it more voltage. Anyway has anyone got a better score on their gto than this yet? If not i am sure tonyjack will eat my score for breakfast with his 16 pipes and high clocks.
3dmark05-3.jpg

Last edited:
Ok guys, this is absolutely weird. Its like we all got different cards or something.

My GTO:
- HIS X1800GTO from Newegg.com
- Bios flashed with Sapphire X1800XL Bios, works perfectly
- Max stable core - 540
- Max stable mem - 580

What I notice different:
- Voltage changes have no major impact
- Stock cooling was replaced with aftermarket (Zalman Fatal1ty VGA fan)
- Everyone's memory seems to overclock so well.
- Your happy I'm not

Why isnt my card able to go above 540/580? No matter what I do it will pick up artifacts. Hell, I'm not even sure if 540/580 is 100% stable since I havn't tested it longer than 10 minutes.

Should I flash the origional bios back and RMA this thing and try one from monarch computers? Maybe they got a better batch.

TonyJack, what kind of motherboard and power supply are you using?

chron said:
Why isnt my card able to go above 540/580? No matter what I do it will pick up artifacts. Hell, I'm not even sure if 540/580 is 100% stable since I havn't tested it longer than 10 minutes.

Should I flash the origional bios back and RMA this thing and try one from monarch computers? Maybe they got a better batch.

Have you tried using different overclock utilities to see if it's a compatibility issue? I know ATI tool beta 10 sure as heck doesn't work with my X1800XT, but beta 14 seems to work just fine (find it at techpowerup.com). Also, you could try rivatuner. It doesn't have full support with the latest drivers, but the overclock feature is still there.

I'm using a Rosewill 500w psu with 26A on the 12v rail. You can find it here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182009

I JUST bought it and installed it yesterday. I didnt go overboard with the psu because I only have a single card mobo and its a small case and i didnt want it to get hot and i didnt have enough money blah blah. You know the deal.

I tried using riva tuner to set the clocks above 540 and ati tool still finds artifacts.

Should I RMA it and try my luck with the next one? I saw one guy who couldnt get above 515/525!

ALSO: The instructions on how to get voltages to work? Where you flash the sapph xl bios and then the chinese bios? Well that screwed up my bios. It was kinda scary for a few momments there but I got it working. I just had to type in the dark, know what I mean? So, yea, that method doesnt work for everyone ;)

chron said:
I tried using riva tuner to set the clocks above 540 and ati tool still finds artifacts.

I think ATI Tool is the problem. Many X1800GTO owners can't get ATI tool to scan artifacts properly. Try this, Overclock using rivatuner, then run some benchmarks/games to see if it artifacts. Also, you could try the ATI tray tools artifact scanner. I don't know if this would have the same issue as ATI tool, but it's worth a shot.

I got a hard lock at 550 doing it that way. Do hard locks indicate inadequite power supply or do I need to up the voltage also? I'm kind of afraid to since my Voltage Regulator temperature rite now is idling at 62C (its a hot day today outside)

Has anyone found any heatsinks for the voltage regulator? I'm seriously thinking about making one my self. All I've found is a Koolance water block for it. Probably would work awesome...

I'm seriously thinking about going to water cooling.

Alright well here is what I think. First of all, do not RMA your card. It is a perfectly functional X1800GTO.

You need to do some clock testing with your card running only twelve pipes. You should have done this in the first place. If you had you'd have been able to troubleshoot this problem much more effectively, or have discovered the fact that your card was clocking low even with 12 pipes. One or the other.

Do not trust ATITool's artifact tester, its in a general state of partial functionality.

Try a different PSU. If you have an extra just short it on and hook it up to the video card only. This way you have a dedicated PSU pushing power to your card's aux connector and you can mostly eliminate your Rosewill from causing the problem.

Sounds like a good plan, Gnerma. What would you suggest I use in order to scan for artifacts? I'm using ATI Tray Tools by Ray Adams instead of ATI's ccc. ATI Tray Tools has an artifact scanner, but when I set my clocks with Riva Tuner and open up the artifact scanner I get a hard lock.

What does a hard lock mean? Is that heat or lack of power? Could my motherboard be getting in the way? Its an Intel 915G Express.

Back