• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Here It Is For All To See, My Unlocked X1800GTO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I played a bit with overclocker and found out it was able to raise the mem voltage but not the core voltage. I took the voltage readings directly on the card. For the memory I was able to go to 2V and didn't wanted to go higher. The core would always read 1.07V no matter how much I gave in overclocker. I hope a new beta of atitool will support the gto cause i can go near 600 on the core without crashing, it just makes some errors here and there so more voltage could maybe correct this.

homer77 said:
i take that back. i used overclocker to change, not ati tool.

changin the volt with overclocker doesn't seen to do anything for my gto, doesn't improve oc at all. :shrug:

well its quite possible its not actually changing the voltage at all, i tried overclocker and it never actually changed the voltage, the only thing i have tried recently was a different bios flash method with flashing an empty.bin and then after that flashing the sapphire xl bios again which almost worked.

After i did that i was able to finally see temps and voltage adjustment capability in atitool however upon trying changing the voltages, when i upped the gpu voltage it didn't seem to do anything and rivatuner would not show any change in its voltage, howvere when i used it to up the memory voltage i was able to overclock all the way to 670 on 2.0 volts from a max of 630 at stock voltage so i guess so far i have it working for changing my memory voltage but not my gpu.

Anyway I might be trying something slightly different that hopefully will somehow work and allow me to successfully up both voltages, i will post again if i am successful.

TopGear57 said:
i have tried recently was a different bios flash method with flashing an empty.bin and then after that flashing the sapphire xl bios again which almost worked.

After i did that i was able to finally see temps and voltage adjustment capability in atitool however upon trying changing the voltages, when i upped the gpu voltage it didn't seem to do anything and rivatuner would not show any change in its voltage

I went with that method too and the same happened, still the vgpu doesn't change.

Heads up guys, I got an HIS today and it does not have the sixth fet nor the red sticker over the XL on the back (edit- I do know the sixth fet is not a true indicator of unlockability, but to me the lack of it AWA the GTO sticker being in place of the XL is a bad sign). It probably wouldn't unlock (unless someone has gotten one of these and has done so). Monarch said they special order these from HIS so HIS probably doesn't have any more of the six fet XL boards, or they changed how they're rebadging. Newegg is a better bet for HIS boards because they have them in their warehouse, otherwise I would only gamble on C3D from Monarch from now on. I would've gotten it from the Egg, but since they're in CA it adds to the price.

update- as I suspected, it doesn't unlock =\ However I was able to change the DeviceID from 710A to 7109 and working VGPU. Here's hoping to someone finding the laser cut bridge and/or movable resistor...

Last edited:
OK guys i have got it, thanks to pokey006's help from another forum, i now have the exact method that should get all your voltage changing option working in ati tool. You can check in rivatuner when you increase your gpu voltage and it should now change as its supposed to.

Get atiflash 3.09 and put both files on a floppy
Next download sapphire xl bios from techpowerup.com and throw that on the floppy as well, i changed the name of my bios to a short name so it works easy in dos such as sapxl.bin
Next you can download Bgnomes modified bios from here if you have a card that unlocks to 16 pipes like mine.x1800GTO Modified Bios

If yours does not unlock to 16 then you can just use your default GTO bios for this step.

Anyway copy that bios to your floppy as well, i named mine gtomod.bin
And last thing you can make a flash.bat file by just making a new text document and inserting the lines exactly as shown here

atiflash -newbios -f -p 0 sapxl.bin
atiflash -f -p 0 gtomod.bin

after you put those 2 lines in the text file, save it and then rename it to flash.bat and of course throw that onto the floppy as well

You should now have 5 different files on the floppy, 2 bios's, 2 files from ati flash 3.09 and also the flash.bat file.

That's it now you can go boot to dos and run the flash.bat file and if all goes well you should have a x1800Gto thats able to change all voltages and show temps in AtiTool.

Thanks Goes to Pokey006 and Bgnomes for their help on Getting this all to work.

Last but not least Flash At Your Own Risk!

Have A Nice Day!

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time TopGear57. How many people have been successful with this method and (more importantly) what kind of clocks are we seeing on these with increased Vgpu? Linking is fine, I see Bgnome on OCWorkbench but no such voltage discussion.

Gnerma said:
Thanks for taking the time TopGear57. How many people have been successful with this method and (more importantly) what kind of clocks are we seeing on these with increased Vgpu? Linking is fine, I see Bgnome on OCWorkbench but no such voltage discussion.

well so far i have only tried a little bit to see if it worked, and i was at 590/660 and worked fine on 1.15volts to the gpu and 2.0 to the memory, my previous best was 569/630, anyway over at the extremsystems forum LINK
we have a few people who have said today that this bios flash method seems to be working good for them and pokey006 has his gto up to over 700 on both gpu and memory so it seems to be working good.

Alrighty, I've got voltages up and running. My card is not unlockable. 580 GPU & 612 RAM were my previous maxes, lets see what she can really do.... Thanks again TopGear.

EDIT - 8422 3dmark05 @ 630 GPU / 612 RAM

Thats at 1.15V. Had music playing etc. I'm going to bed...

Last edited:
well here is my best score so far, and perhaps ever, i am not sure if i can go any higher really, i am having a problem it kinda seems like if i go any higher than 1.2 volts to the gpu i get lockups, it doesn't seem like it should be heat since my card never was getting hotter than in the low 70's, but who knows.

3dmark05-2.jpg

Thanks a lot Topgear, It worked perfectly on my card, and I think I got lucky since I can do 670 on the core at 1.25V. I even went to 702 with 1.325V!! but I thought I was pushing it a bit far for stock cooling (75 celsius). I can't wait to run water on this. Anybody knows what's the 24/7 max voltage I should give on a water cooled R520? I'll post a screenshot this week end when it's installed and maybe run 3dmark (it would be my first! I'm not a bench type of guy).

couple questions for people. what drivers work on the x1800gto, the 6.3's or 6.4's?
also does ati tool 0.25 beta 14 work without any of the flashing and bios tweaks mentioned above?

thanks

for me, only 6.4 works. 6.3 didnt recognize x1800gto at all for some reason.

as for atitool, beta14 recognized the card, but temp and volt didn't work for me without the mod bios.

ok so basically 6.4 works well and the beta 14 can still be used for fan speed correct ?

thanks homer I got a buddy I had get this card and I am gonna have to help him lol

no, i don't think the fan control works either.

i remember the options are pretty limited in turns of adjusting the settings with ati tool.

i don't have the card with me anymore, since i sold it to a friend, but i'll try to get it back and test it out some more tonite if i get a chance.

Support was added for GTOs in 6.4, yes.

You don't get anything interesting in ATITool .25 beta 14 without doing the bios flash operation described above. No fan control, no temps, no voltages.

ok cool thanks guys

so for a guy that just wants to run the card and not get into flashing and ati tool, do the 6.4's alone run the card well? and is there any problems with temps without the option to tweak the fan manually?

what temps is this card getting?

My card was actually rather strange with stock cooling. It maintained temps between 63 and 70C. At idle the fan would generally run at low speed and it was rather quiet, but as soon as the card hit 70C it would ramp up to 100% and stay there until it was back to 67C. There was no inbetween it was either slow or 100%. You can use Overclocker to adjust the fan speed manually though, at a solid 100% the stock cooler might sound like a hair dryer but it keeps the card at about 57C full load.

Gnerma said:
My card was actually rather strange with stock cooling. It maintained temps between 63 and 70C. At idle the fan would generally run at low speed and it was rather quiet, but as soon as the card hit 70C it would ramp up to 100% and stay there until it was back to 67C. There was no inbetween it was either slow or 100%. You can use Overclocker to adjust the fan speed manually though, at a solid 100% the stock cooler might sound like a hair dryer but it keeps the card at about 57C full load.

excellent gnerma, now the fan ramping up was this with only 6.4 ccc installed doing it automatically?

I dont like to use overclocker because it loosens ram timings on the cards which is pointless....

Back