• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repair/Reinstall XP without "normal" mouse/keyboard- How?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
Problem: System will not allow login using any passwords. Dell restore (Ctrl + F11) does not work, and reinstallation of the OS fails without a standard mouse/keyboard.

System is a one month old Dell E-510 running XP Media Center Edition. This system has no standard mouse/keyboard ports, only USB. There are no user files that need backup.

For the reinstall, system asks to hit any key to boot from CD, Windows XP install begins loading, but now the keyboard stops working and I cannot continue the installation because I cannot respond to the questions that windows wants answers to.

How do you get around this little problem?

Have you checked in the BIOS for an option called "USB Keyboard Support Via:", or "USB Mouse Support Via:" (or something similar)? If using either one or both USB keyboard and mouse, the respective BIOS setting(s) should be set to "BIOS", and not "OS".

Well if the BIOS doesn't recognize the usb mouse, you can't get into the set up...Just get a PS/2 mouse?

kayson said:
Well if the BIOS doesn't recognize the usb mouse, you can't get into the set up...Just get a PS/2 mouse?
When you say "set up", are you referring to BIOS Setup or Windows Setup? Regardless of what any keyboard related BIOS options are set to, it's still possible to access the BIOS with either a PS2 or USB keyboard. The options I mentioned in my last post only apply to Windows Setup, and DOS apps run from a floppy or CD that lack USB keyboard support. If set to "OS", then chances are you'll lose the keyboard at some point during Windows Setup.

And eaglescouter... you never responded as to whether or not you can enter the BIOS w/ your USB keyboard.

Sorry for the delay, I was out of the office all day today.

I checked the bios, no setting for legacy USB devices :\

My keyboard problem is found when trying to reinstall or repair the OS by booting from the XP CD. At the first screen windows asks if you want to install (press enter) or recovery console (press R)..... and my keyboard does not work.....

Also, the system will boot up, I can log in as the user, I see the desktop artwork (no buttons, no clock, no start button) and then it says "saving your settings" and returns to a login screen.

During the short period that the desktop is visible I have tried right and left clicking, escape, windows button on keyboard, ctl alt del, but nothing seems to work. It is as if the keyboard is disabled.

That PC has five USB hubs correct? I'm assuming you've tried all five, including a different keyboard? Have you tried posing your question in the Dell support forums, or have you contacted Dell phone support like NsOmNiA91130 suggested?

Last edited:
I have contacted Dell Technical Support, and am awaiting their response.

I have not tried all of the USB ports.
I have not tried a different USB keyboard.

I will give these a try and post my results.

This definitely sounds like a Bios issue.

When you get it up again, I'd suggest you change the Power Management option in each USB Root Hub in Windows-

Go to-

Device Manager-
Select each USB root hub
Right click, select Properties
Select Power Management
Uncheck "turn off to save power" or whatever it says there.

This has solved alot of problems with USB while in Windows.

Ive had similar issues when reinstalling. When it got to the part where you have to press f8 my keyboard did not work. I re-load the default bios, resarted the comp a few times, and it finnaly worked

Ultimately I needed to use a specific usb port for the keyboard and leave the mouse unplugged. Then I was able to install XP, and when I got to the section for selecting my time zone I was able to pulg in the mouse and keep going.

What a crazy system.

Back