• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a way to test if a TEC died?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revivalist

Today I turned on my Meanwell but my CPU temp didn't drop like usual. (It usually goes from 35C to 5C when I turn on the TEC.) . . . However, the temp dropped on my video card (from 40C to 2C) as usual because the TEC on it is connected to the same Meanwell. So I knew the Meanwell is working. . . .

I also tested the terminals at the Meanwell and the CPU TEC is still getting 12.2V like before. . .

So my only conclusion is that somehow the TEC on the CPU died. Is there anything else I can test without taking the entire system apart? I really want to avoid that unless I know for sure that the TEC must be dead.

Well, if your putting current into one side of the Pelt and its not coming out the other.... I guess it shot :shrug: that's just my thinking. Test it.

the only way you could test it with hardware is with in LCR meter that handles AC current. Its basically a beefy digital multimeter. DC measurements do not work for resistance measurements, because the voltage the meter applies to check the resistance would change the temperature of the TEC. Even then, the measurements are going to be in fractions of OHMs. Diode tests, do not work as well since its neither an N-P-N or P-N-P junction.

revivalist it sounds to me that your tec is getting enough volts but not enough amps!! I know I am having kind of the same problem I used a tec on a nothwood 3.0GHZ and ran -1 most of the time but I changed to a new mobo and went to an amd 3200 but my temps will not go below 35c either!! I have mounted and remounted but still cant seem to get it right!! what meanwell are you running! I am running 320W and it only puts out 24a that is what the tec needs so I cant run anything else on it!

Back