• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fastest AGP 8X card? My 6800 Ultra died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

Well, my 6800 ultra died, and the warranty is gone, so I'm looking to get another card, but apparently a 6800 ultra AGP 8X card no longer exist, so I need something that is equal to, or faster then the 6800 Ultra to replace it. I checked the classifieds here, and couldn't find anything. I needs my computer for work, so I don't have time to look around and figuring stuff out, so if someone could just point me to an equal or better card, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

yes, the 7800GS is king of the hill.

X850XT still holds it's own though, if you can find it.

I bought an eVGA 7800GS CO from newegg about 2 weeks ago and it was a major pain. Would work fine untill any drivers were loaded. Tried everything from 81.98-Newest and every hacked driver I could get my hands on. Tried in 3 different rigs with good PSUs, no luck. I realise this was just a fluke, but looking back I'm glad I got the $ back instead. Doesn't make much sense to me to spend $284 on an agp card when you could get a PCI express board and a x850xt for the same price.

LiveSideways said:
I bought an eVGA 7800GS CO from newegg about 2 weeks ago and it was a major pain. Would work fine untill any drivers were loaded. Tried everything from 81.98-Newest and every hacked driver I could get my hands on. Tried in 3 different rigs with good PSUs, no luck. I realise this was just a fluke, but looking back I'm glad I got the $ back instead. Doesn't make much sense to me to spend $284 on an agp card when you could get a PCI express board and a x850xt for the same price.

you don't seam to understand the situation. Getting a PCI express board would be a bad move for me and a waist of money at the moment. You are also forgetting the CPU, and Ram I will need to buy.

I'm not ready to build a new system yet, and this system will need a working vid card anyway. When I'm ready to build a new system is is going to be a quad dual core system with two SLI vid cards, either ATI or NVidia, dunno which one yet. Anyway, I'd rather just get a top of the line agp card for now.

beavismorpheus said:
doesnt the 6800gs overclock to 6800 ultra speeds?

7800gs is nice, if you have the dough

you mean 6800GT? Or 6800 GS? Either way, I don't do overclocking because it never does me any good. My overclocks don't ever work, and when they do the little performance gain I get is crap. So I pretty much hate overclocking, and when I see people with awesome overclocks it actually ****es me off sometimes because I can't even get half of what they are getting out of the same, or similar hardware :shrug:

unless of course they are using water cooling, or phase change, those are the only situations that awesome overclocks don't **** me off. Just the ones that get super awesome overclocks on air, those are the ones that get on my nerves.

6800GS is nice. A chance of unlocking and definitely good overclocking potential.

As for others getting high clocks, they could have gotten a very good 3rd party heatsink with some AS5. Check ventilation, too.

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be getting the gainward 7800 GS, unless of course anyone knows of an agp card that happens to have a 7800 GTX core labled as less? :D

mystfied said:
6800GS is nice.

isn't that a step down from the 6800 ultra though?

soundfx4 said:
you don't seam to understand the situation. Getting a PCI express board would be a bad move for me and a waist of money at the moment. You are also forgetting the CPU, and Ram I will need to buy.

I'm not ready to build a new system yet, and this system will need a working vid card anyway. When I'm ready to build a new system is is going to be a quad dual core system with two SLI vid cards, either ATI or NVidia, dunno which one yet. Anyway, I'd rather just get a top of the line agp card for now.
Your ram and 754 cpu will work with the solution I proposed. Epox makes a 754/pci-e board thats $80. That + $170 X850XT is much cheaper than a 7800gs. My point is that that setup is cheaper than a high end agp card, so who cares if you ditch it all to upgrade to sli later, yould be doing the same with an agp card.

omg, more agp cards? nice! They said they were killing off AGP long ago...

When the time that "pci-e is obsolete", I will know to hold onto my mobo for another year or so.

i totally panic bought a new pci-e rig when they first threatened to take away my beloved agp cards

I can recomend this card
For 179$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814241010

It performs almsot as good as a 7800gs with same 16 pipes and similar speeds. just that you dont get PS 3.0.
Why i recomend this one?
well it cost almsot half of the 7800gs and it performs almsot the same. Other reason is that with this card your be able to save money and survive on recent games until when DX10 comes out and new video cards youl have enough money to buy new system and new gpu that will be much better.

This is just my point of view. You dont have to do this. If you have the money then buy a 7800gs,

beavismorpheus said:
omg, more agp cards? nice! They said they were killing off AGP long ago...

When the time that "pci-e is obsolete", I will know to hold onto my mobo for another year or so.

i totally panic bought a new pci-e rig when they first threatened to take away my beloved agp cards

well your choice was the smart one. I should have bought a PCI-E board when I got this one, but they were not plentiful at the time, and as such I didn't have much of a choice, so I just got the best AGP board I could find. I regret that choice now, but I don't want to ditch this board either. Oh well :shrug:

Back