Registered

do i choose hper threading on my asus P5VD1-X with Intel Pentium D 820, 2.8GHz, EM64T

I have a Intel Pentium D 820, 2.8GHz, EM64T XD Dual Core, 2X1MB, Socket LGA775 and asus P5VD1-X mobo with components listed from my early computer below, Do i have to turn on the hyper threading in the bios for this chip or is xp pro gonna realize this is a dual core? Also i dont find this new system much faster then the old one in my sig below?

old computer

ASUS A7N8X REV 2.0 bios 1007
    XP2500 BARTON 200FSB- 2.2ghz
    Corsair TWINX512-3200C memory
    Nvidia 6600gt
    enermax psu / case
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus10 EIDE 200GB ATA-133 7200RPM 16MB
    WD 120gig - 8meg cache

there is no hyperthreading on that CPU. You have to reinstall the hal, so that it recognizes the dual cores though

Registered
    True there is no hyperthreading but I had an 805d and an Asus P5VD1-X and I had to enable hyper treading in the Bios on this motherboard to get both cores to show in cpuz.

Registered
    what do i look for in cpuz to let me know that it sees dual core?

Registered
    with this mother board the fsb is 1066/800/533mhz and my cpu freq is set to 200, should this be set higher to get the most out of my chip? using cosair 400/333 dual ch memory? spent all this money and this new chip does'nt seem faster then my old system. So wondering if setting in the bios are boging it down? Is there anything in xp to check infact this is running at dual core.

Registered
    First tab on CPUZ (CPU tab), at the bottom it says Processor Selection. If both cores are showing up, the drop down box should be active and allow you to view each cores stats. Also, the two cores should show up in task manager in Windows.
    As far as the CPU frequency, what can your ram handle? You may have to use a divider on the ram.
    Don't give up on the chip yet. You should easily be showing improvement over your old system. I will say that the P5VD1-X isn't the best board to get the most out of the 820 though. An Asus P5P800se would have been a better choice because of the Vcore adjustments.

Contributing Member hUMANbEATbOX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WiNole
    True there is no hyperthreading but I had an 805d and an Asus P5VD1-X and I had to enable hyper treading in the Bios on this motherboard to get both cores to show in cpuz.
    was that on a fresh install of windows??

to the OP, you should really be blowing away your old windows install, start fresh. hyperthreding is hyperthreading, so if your cpu doensn't have it, you shouldn't have to set it. XP can recognize dual cores without setting HT.

the reason your old rig felt just as fast is because you probably haven't done anything that would tax a dual core. also, you are gonna want to oc that cpu up to around 3.6ghz. then it would feel like a solid upgrade.
    i7 970 @ 4.2ghz - 1.275v
    6x4gb
    560ti
    and my baby Lucy
    <----

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

to the OP, you should really be blowing away your old windows install, start fresh. hyperthreding is hyperthreading, so if your cpu doensn't have it, you shouldn't have to set it. XP can recognize dual cores without setting HT.
    No no need to reinstall windows, for that reason at least, the only reason to reinstall is because the chipsets differ. But yes, a reinstall would solve all if not most of his problems

Registered
    Enabling HT on that Asus MB to get both cores is a known issue. My benches went up 30% after doing so.

Registered
    any good oc settings for me to adjust to get the best of this cpu and this board? Also i encoded a movie and it seemed alot slower. I might have to turn on that hyperthreading?
    Last edited by hanibal; 04-19-06 at 09:26 AM. Reason: added more info

Registered
    It's not going to hurt anything to enable it. I had that board and I talked to 3 others who had to do the same thing. Performance went up for all four of us...whether it really did anything for 2nd core or whether it was just something crazy with the BIOS...who knows.
    Even without the Vcore adjustment option in the BIOS I was still able to set the overclock option to 10%...20% wouldn't work for me but it did for one of the other guys.
    You should notice a difference while encoding but more so you should be able to multi-task while encoding. I can be on the internet, play a game, and encode at the same time with no lag on the game.

Registered
    What would be a better asus mobo, does not have to have agp for this cpu?
    Would a better mobo increase any performance for multi tasking? All recomendations welcomed.

Registered
    i had to enable hyper threading as task manager only saw one cpu.

10 Year Badge
    Asus is strange you neeed to Enable HT to get the Dual cores to work. Infact I notice this with a lot of Intel boards. It's not like AMD just slap it in and go. You have to turn on HT.

I think it's because Intel set the ACPI to treat dual cores as HT. Of course the cores are just more efficient.

I mean look at how the dual cores for intel are made they are just 2 cores glued on to a single piece of silicon. Even though they are microns apart they communicate with each other using the Northbridge.
    UMPC:
    Asus EEE 701(4G)
    Laptops:
    Lenovo T60p
    Servers:
    IBM XServ
    Heatware

Asus is strange you neeed to Enable HT to get the Dual cores to work. Infact I notice this with a lot of Intel boards. It's not like AMD just slap it in and go. You have to turn on HT.

I think it's because Intel set the ACPI to treat dual cores as HT. Of course the cores are just more efficient.

I mean look at how the dual cores for intel are made they are just 2 cores glued on to a single piece of silicon. Even though they are microns apart they communicate with each other using the Northbridge.
    Not on all intel boards. the board in my sig has no option for HT, and the chip worked fine, a drop in, a reinstall of Windows/SMP kernel for Linux and I was good to go. I would personally never buy a VIA chipset like the posters board uses

10 Year Badge
    More like Asus's crappy BIOS'. I installed one of the early dual cores in a Asus P4P800-DLX(the 875 chipset i can't remmeber the real name for the board) and had to do it. In a newer Asus 955 based I had to. Another one was an MSI and I had to.
    UMPC:
    Asus EEE 701(4G)
    Laptops:
    Lenovo T60p
    Servers:
    IBM XServ
    Heatware

Quote Originally Posted by dicecca112
    No no need to reinstall windows, for that reason at least, the only reason to reinstall is because the chipsets differ. But yes, a reinstall would solve all if not most of his problems
    ya sorry i should have been more specific. i just meant in general, if you are getting a new mobo with a new chipset, you should probably format and start fresh.
    i7 970 @ 4.2ghz - 1.275v
    6x4gb
    560ti
    and my baby Lucy
    <----

What I find funny is on my mobo in bios for windows to see two cores Hyper-Threading needs to be enabled in BIOS yet AMD's have never had Hyper-Threading.
    My Gaming Rig: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Dual Fans (push/pull) || 2.6GHz CPU-NB || ASUS M5A97 || Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 8-8-8-22 1t || eVGA nVidia GTX 285 1GB || ASUS VE247H 23.6" || Western Digital Black 1TB 64MB Cache || Windows 7 Ultimate 64

whaaaa?? you have a hyperthreading setting in your bios?? that's bizar....
    i7 970 @ 4.2ghz - 1.275v
    6x4gb
    560ti
    and my baby Lucy
    <----

Yes, I guess ASRock was just lazy and didn't feel like naming it "Enable Dual-Core". *shrug*
    My Gaming Rig: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Dual Fans (push/pull) || 2.6GHz CPU-NB || ASUS M5A97 || Samsung 8GB DDR3-1600 8-8-8-22 1t || eVGA nVidia GTX 285 1GB || ASUS VE247H 23.6" || Western Digital Black 1TB 64MB Cache || Windows 7 Ultimate 64