• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do i choose hper threading on my asus P5VD1-X with Intel Pentium D 820, 2.8GHz, EM64T

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hanibal

Registered
do i choose hper threading on my asus P5VD1-X with Intel Pentium D 820, 2.8GHz, EM64T

I have a Intel Pentium D 820, 2.8GHz, EM64T XD Dual Core, 2X1MB, Socket LGA775 and asus P5VD1-X mobo with components listed from my early computer below, Do i have to turn on the hyper threading in the bios for this chip or is xp pro gonna realize this is a dual core? Also i dont find this new system much faster then the old one in my sig below?

old computer

ASUS A7N8X REV 2.0 bios 1007
XP2500 BARTON 200FSB- 2.2ghz
Corsair TWINX512-3200C memory
Nvidia 6600gt
enermax psu / case
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus10 EIDE 200GB ATA-133 7200RPM 16MB
WD 120gig - 8meg cache

there is no hyperthreading on that CPU. You have to reinstall the hal, so that it recognizes the dual cores though

True there is no hyperthreading but I had an 805d and an Asus P5VD1-X and I had to enable hyper treading in the Bios on this motherboard to get both cores to show in cpuz.

what do i look for in cpuz to let me know that it sees dual core?

with this mother board the fsb is 1066/800/533mhz and my cpu freq is set to 200, should this be set higher to get the most out of my chip? using cosair 400/333 dual ch memory? spent all this money and this new chip does'nt seem faster then my old system. So wondering if setting in the bios are boging it down? Is there anything in xp to check infact this is running at dual core.

First tab on CPUZ (CPU tab), at the bottom it says Processor Selection. If both cores are showing up, the drop down box should be active and allow you to view each cores stats. Also, the two cores should show up in task manager in Windows.
As far as the CPU frequency, what can your ram handle? You may have to use a divider on the ram.
Don't give up on the chip yet. You should easily be showing improvement over your old system. I will say that the P5VD1-X isn't the best board to get the most out of the 820 though. An Asus P5P800se would have been a better choice because of the Vcore adjustments.

WiNole said:
True there is no hyperthreading but I had an 805d and an Asus P5VD1-X and I had to enable hyper treading in the Bios on this motherboard to get both cores to show in cpuz.

was that on a fresh install of windows??

to the OP, you should really be blowing away your old windows install, start fresh. hyperthreding is hyperthreading, so if your cpu doensn't have it, you shouldn't have to set it. XP can recognize dual cores without setting HT.

the reason your old rig felt just as fast is because you probably haven't done anything that would tax a dual core. also, you are gonna want to oc that cpu up to around 3.6ghz. then it would feel like a solid upgrade.

to the OP, you should really be blowing away your old windows install, start fresh. hyperthreding is hyperthreading, so if your cpu doensn't have it, you shouldn't have to set it. XP can recognize dual cores without setting HT.

No no need to reinstall windows, for that reason at least, the only reason to reinstall is because the chipsets differ. But yes, a reinstall would solve all if not most of his problems

Enabling HT on that Asus MB to get both cores is a known issue. My benches went up 30% after doing so.

any good oc settings for me to adjust to get the best of this cpu and this board? Also i encoded a movie and it seemed alot slower. I might have to turn on that hyperthreading?

Last edited:
It's not going to hurt anything to enable it. I had that board and I talked to 3 others who had to do the same thing. Performance went up for all four of us...whether it really did anything for 2nd core or whether it was just something crazy with the BIOS...who knows.
Even without the Vcore adjustment option in the BIOS I was still able to set the overclock option to 10%...20% wouldn't work for me but it did for one of the other guys.
You should notice a difference while encoding but more so you should be able to multi-task while encoding. I can be on the internet, play a game, and encode at the same time with no lag on the game.

What would be a better asus mobo, does not have to have agp for this cpu?
Would a better mobo increase any performance for multi tasking? All recomendations welcomed. :)

i had to enable hyper threading as task manager only saw one cpu.

Asus is strange you neeed to Enable HT to get the Dual cores to work. Infact I notice this with a lot of Intel boards. It's not like AMD just slap it in and go. You have to turn on HT.

I think it's because Intel set the ACPI to treat dual cores as HT. Of course the cores are just more efficient.

I mean look at how the dual cores for intel are made they are just 2 cores glued on to a single piece of silicon. Even though they are microns apart they communicate with each other using the Northbridge.

Asus is strange you neeed to Enable HT to get the Dual cores to work. Infact I notice this with a lot of Intel boards. It's not like AMD just slap it in and go. You have to turn on HT.

I think it's because Intel set the ACPI to treat dual cores as HT. Of course the cores are just more efficient.

I mean look at how the dual cores for intel are made they are just 2 cores glued on to a single piece of silicon. Even though they are microns apart they communicate with each other using the Northbridge.

Not on all intel boards. the board in my sig has no option for HT, and the chip worked fine, a drop in, a reinstall of Windows/SMP kernel for Linux and I was good to go. I would personally never buy a VIA chipset like the posters board uses

More like Asus's crappy BIOS'. I installed one of the early dual cores in a Asus P4P800-DLX(the 875 chipset i can't remmeber the real name for the board) and had to do it. In a newer Asus 955 based I had to. Another one was an MSI and I had to.

dicecca112 said:
No no need to reinstall windows, for that reason at least, the only reason to reinstall is because the chipsets differ. But yes, a reinstall would solve all if not most of his problems

ya sorry i should have been more specific. i just meant in general, if you are getting a new mobo with a new chipset, you should probably format and start fresh. :)

What I find funny is on my mobo in bios for windows to see two cores Hyper-Threading needs to be enabled in BIOS yet AMD's have never had Hyper-Threading. :p

Yes, I guess ASRock was just lazy and didn't feel like naming it "Enable Dual-Core". *shrug*

Back