• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Distro Is Right For Me ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It gave me: openSUSE, fedora, debian, mandriva ubuntu and linux mint. They should call it an option provider not a chooser. And it didn't ask the most important question: What is your favorite color? :D

I personally like linux mint cinnamon the cinnamon desktop is beautiful has animation but not enough to make it unstable like the KDE desktop.

Too bad they didnt update this.

I would have expected to see Arch up there and some other more common distro's that have recently gained in popularity

Interesting, the test [correctly] suggested Debian, which has been my personal choice consistantly. However, I took the test again, and changed one answer to "I prefer to compile my own binaries" and the distro that was suggested ended up being Slackware. I had forgotten about Slackware, I thought either Arch or Gentoo would be suggested.

Does anybody here use Slackware?

lol I got 100% on Kubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Mandriva, and OpenSuSE. Lately I used Ubuntu with the Cinnamon DE, Debian, and Mageia 2 (a fork of Mandriva).

I got 100% on Mandriva, Fedora, OpenSuSE, Linux Mint, Debian, Ubuntu. Have only ever used Ubuntu....

Interesting, the test [correctly] suggested Debian, which has been my personal choice consistantly. However, I took the test again, and changed one answer to "I prefer to compile my own binaries" and the distro that was suggested ended up being Slackware. I had forgotten about Slackware, I thought either Arch or Gentoo would be suggested.

Does anybody here use Slackware?

Not currently, but it was their "single-floppy" version was the first distro I ever used way back when.

Looks like that link is dead too
I think that link can be used instead: http://www.tuxradar.com/content/distro-picker-0

Links to linuxformat.c0m with just an article resommending PopOS

Disappointing I wanted to see what something would recommend LoL.

EDIT:I did find this link through google and I could swear I have used it before.

https://distrochooser.de/en

One of the recommended was Arch which is cool since that is what I use on my main machine.
Debian on my old 32bit machine because it refuses to run anything else well and I wanted that one to be very stable because of what I use it for.

Last edited:
I used the last link (which still works) just for fun to see what it would give me. Top 10 choices I got were:
  1. Artix
  2. Fedora
  3. Arch
  4. Gentoo
  5. Devuan
  6. Void Linux
  7. Rocky Linux (really?)
  8. Debian
  9. openSuse
  10. Crux Linux

I guess it's not far off since Artix is Arch-based, but I prefer vanilla Arch on KDE, which is my daily driver on my personal laptop. If Crowdstrike ends up fixing their kernel dependency for their falcon sensor (why it's not using dkms is beyond me), then I might and up putting arch on my work machine too (cause then I'll be in compliance with our security standards :D ).

Although I kinda liked qtile when I tried it, I might experiment with another WM on my spare laptop...maybe try out Awesome or something. Maybe experiment with Gentoo. I've never actually tried it, and Arch was not as much of a challenge as I thought it would be, but I guess after spending 4 years supporting Linux systems for a living, I had enough experience & knowledge that I only had to face some of the things I never encountered or had to deal with (like drive/partition encryption & actually setting up mkinitcpio hooks)

Debian
Rocky Linux(RHELbased)
Arch
Gentoo
Void Linux
Artix(Arch based)
Crux Linux
qubes OS
NixOS

No surprises with Debian, Arch & Gentoo, have used them before. I've not tried the others. Every so often I'll sample the latest Fedora release. I currently have an OpenSuse install, just for a change of pace. But Arco-Linux is the primary OS on my daily rig, also on my Dell laptop.

I used that last link in post #14. The only question that mattered to me (Easy to install fah) wasn't listed so Ubuntu was way down the list. I do not tend to my 2 Linux PC's at all unless there is an issue..Oh I should say one as the 2nd one is dormant waiting for GPU's.

fah is about the only reason I use Linux (Free on multiple PC's)....Otherwise the choice might be Steam OS (Debian Jessie). I also am pretty close to not needing Windows, in that case Linux would be my default.

Last edited:
Back